Possible?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
csiaudio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Possible?

Post by csiaudio »

Does anyone know if it's possible to utilize two Mac computers to increase native plugin processing power while using DP?

Thanks.
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Possible?

Post by James Steele »

csiaudio wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible to utilize two Mac computers to increase native plugin processing power while using DP?

Thanks.
AFAIK, the way you do that is use Vienna Ensemble Pro to host plugs on a second computer. I believe all you need is an ethernet cable to connect your main computer to the slave and you're good to go.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

Humm interesting product I've never heard of that before...and honestly I thought I would get a bunch of 'no's' to my question so thanks for that!
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If you have two Macs with audio interfaces that can be connected to each other with something like ADAT, you can put a plugin host (like another copy of DP, DSP-Q, or some freeware host) on the second Mac and use that as an external hardware effects rack just as you would use a real external hardware effects unit.

I use a G5 with a UAD card in it as an external effects rack connected to and iMac. Initially, because this is not a hardware effects unit, I had to work out a way to handle the delay introduced by the round trip and the plugin in the external host (because delay comp only works within DP). In theory that is now handled by the new DP 9 external effects plugin, but it seems few if any of us have managed to get that working properly.

You can use a setup like this to make use of VIs that won't run in DP, like an instance of EXS24 running in Logic or Mainstage in the second Mac.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8