snap soundbites to grid

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
vudoo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

snap soundbites to grid

Post by vudoo »

Since DP only works in relative grid mode, what's the easiest/quickest way to snap soundbites to grid ?

For MIDI notes i use Quantize, but it won't work for soundbites. Thanks
Tesionman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: snap soundbites to grid

Post by Tesionman »

What I do is snap the edge of the soundbite using the command key and then moving it to wherever I want.
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

Tesionman wrote:What I do is snap the edge of the soundbite using the command key and then moving it to wherever I want.
How do you snap the edge of soundbite ? I can't seem to find it in the Key Command.
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

vudoo wrote:
Tesionman wrote:What I do is snap the edge of the soundbite using the command key and then moving it to wherever I want.
How do you snap the edge of soundbite ? I can't seem to find it in the Key Command.
Sorry, I should've explained a bit better. I meant holding down the command key(⌘) on your keyboard while dragging the edges so they'll snap to the grid. :wink:

vudoo

Post by vudoo »

Sorry, I should've explained a bit better. I meant holding down the command key(⌘) on your keyboard while dragging the edges so they'll snap to the grid.

No worries, i should have explained myself better.

What i want is moving the whole soundbite to grid and not Edge editing, as you suggested with Command pressed so the left edge snaps to grid.

For example i have a one bar drum loop that i want to snap to beat one of bar 3.
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

never mind, my bad...the quantize worked fine with audio. I had an anchor point at the beginning of my soundbite, that's why the edge was not snapping to the downbeat. All is good.

I still think DP should implement an absolute grid...Click soundbite/note to grid...done! instead of having to quantize.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

vudoo wrote:I still think DP should implement an absolute grid...
A few years back, I had to work in another studio and was forced to learn some ProTools basics (yuk). Anyway, the one thing I really did like was the ability to switch between relative and absolute grid. I've been wanting this feature in DP ever since.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

vudoo wrote:never mind, my bad...the quantize worked fine with audio. I had an anchor point at the beginning of my soundbite, that's why the edge was not snapping to the downbeat. All is good.

I still think DP should implement an absolute grid...Click soundbite/note to grid...done! instead of having to quantize.
I have communicated this desire to at least 5 people at Motu now. All but one agreed with me that they'd really like to see it.

It's been about 8-9 years since the first time I asked (basically begged) for it, and there's been no change. (I left DP at V7 in part due to this in fact... and how awful DP6 was)

I love DP, but I now choose to do 100% of my editing outside of DP. It's less hassle to dump things to another DAW than to constantly having to use that insidious quantize panel. There's a few other factors too, but the relative grid thing is the #1 hassle.

And to be clear, I don't care if this is the default behaviour or not. I'd even argue that relative grid should be default (even though every other major modern DAW has absolute grid as a default!), but there needs to at least be an option.
Babz

Post by Babz »

#1 feature request.

In fact, I don't even consider it a feature request. I consider DP partially crippled without it. There is nothing more important than this.

MOTU ARE YOU LISTENING?

Drop whatever you are working on and put every resource of the company into this one thing, Absolute Grid Snapping!!! Don't waste another second on anything until you fix this.

Can you tell how important this is yet? :mrgreen:

Babz
25+ year P/DP User
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

BUT PLEASE MAKE IT A SWITCHABLE OPTION!! I don't want anything to do with absolute grid snapping never ever. Ok, well, sometimes.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Babz

Post by Babz »

stubbsonic wrote:BUT PLEASE MAKE IT A SWITCHABLE OPTION!! I don't want anything to do with absolute grid snapping never ever. Ok, well, sometimes.
Yes. Of course. That goes without saying. No one is asking to take away any feature.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

stubbsonic wrote:BUT PLEASE MAKE IT A SWITCHABLE OPTION!! I don't want anything to do with absolute grid snapping never ever. Ok, well, sometimes.
Option is definitely required. I dislike working without either mode.
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

hmmm.. I guess I'm the only one(and Stubbsonic) who actually prefers relative mode! :lol:
But yeah, make it an option. Absolute does come in handy.

cheers