different faders position for record and playback ?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
vudoo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

different faders position for record and playback ?

Post by vudoo »

Is it possible to have the faders at different position between record and playback (record off).

When tracking drums, I want to hear less of myself (faders way down) vs when I'm in playback (faders back to normal). Thx
Sean Kenny
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: different faders position for record and playback ?

Post by Sean Kenny »

If you set 'Audio Patch Thru' to 'off' in the Studio drop-down menu, then whilst you record your levels will be set by whatever software controls whichever card you are using. If you're using a Motu card/interface then it would be Cue Mix. In my case I'm using and an RME Madi card so I would use their incumbent software to set up the live monitor levels *.

These levels only apply whilst in record. As soon as you have I hit playback the software software will automatically revert to the DP fader settings

NB: * I would use this method, but as I have an analogue console I do it on the desk, setting separate mixes for different players. I'm assuming you are tracking alone.

Cheers

Sean
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

vudoo wrote:Is it possible to have the faders at different position between record and playback (record off).

When tracking drums, I want to hear less of myself (faders way down) vs when I'm in playback (faders back to normal). Thx
You have quite a few questions, which is fine, but it's been mentioned before that it would be very helpful to those trying to assist you if you would put your system details in your signature. Only takes a couple of minutes and it's a gift that keeps on giving. You're asking help from strangers but we're sometimes lacking the info to help you. It's kind of like asking for directions when we don't know where you are.

I hope I wrote that in a polite non-snarky way. 8)
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
vudoo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by vudoo »

Sean Kenny wrote:If you set 'Audio Patch Thru' to 'off' in the Studio drop-down menu, then whilst you record your levels will be set by whatever software controls whichever card you are using. If you're using a Motu card/interface then it would be Cue Mix. In my case I'm using and an RME Madi card so I would use their incumbent software to set up the live monitor levels *.

These levels only apply whilst in record. As soon as you have I hit playback the software software will automatically revert to the DP fader settings

NB: * I would use this method, but as I have an analogue console I do it on the desk, setting separate mixes for different players. I'm assuming you are tracking alone.

Cheers

Sean
I'm experimenting with different mixer snapshot but will definitely try out your suggestion.

Thanks
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

And of course there's the mix mode menu. I use that feature a lot while mixing, but have used it on occasion for recording as well.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.