MIDI transport control & wait for note

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
GrahamB
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI transport control & wait for note

Post by GrahamB »

Hi all,

It's my first post here, I wonder if anyone can help...

I'm trying to get a MIDI 'buttons' transport remote box to operate DP in the way I'd like, but it's proving tricky - here's the problem:

I'm using a MIDI Go Box by That Little Box
http://www.thatlittlebox.co.uk/MIDI-go-box
It's intended for use with Q-Lab, but I'm running it in Program Change mode and have re-mapped the buttons using the commands window to NEXT CHUNK, LAST CHUNK & PLAY/STOP (etc.). This works pretty well, simultaneously driving two copies of DP on a master and backup Powerbook for live show playback. However, the synchronization is somewhat (inevitably?!) hit and miss. I've found that I can pretty much solve that problem by setting 'wait for MIDI note'. If I set DP to wait for any MIDI, then any button on the remote box sets the two machine off in 'perfectly close enough' sync every time. This really needs to be one button or commands get confused, so I'm thinking what I need to do is set DP back to wait for note, then
[- here's the question -]
Can DP transform a program change into a MIDI note.
so I can create a GO button..

I hope all that made some sense! I'm happy to elaborate more on the setup if anyone's interested.

Thanks
Graham
stubbsonic

Re: MIDI transport control & wait for note

Post by stubbsonic »

That would be super useful. I just was doing a little search for something that would convert a program change to a note. If you have an iPad, you might check into MIDI Designer. The developer is very responsive, so you'll get an answer fast if you can't find it in the manual.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

Forgive my ignorance of DP..
Isn't the 'console' module able to transform a Prog Change MIDI input into a note?Isn't that the sort of thing is designed to do?
I can't find Prog Changes in it's receive list.
If a console can do that, would that constitute the 'input' of a note enough to trigger start on 'wait for MIDI note', I guess it must do if it was routed to a MIDI track in the sequence.

To clarify:
I simply want DP to 'stop waiting' when (& only when) it receives Prog Change 0.
Surely that's possible! Please can anyone help?

Graham
I'm using a MIDI Go Box by That Little Box
http://www.thatlittlebox.co.uk/MIDI-go-box
It's intended for use with Q-Lab, but I'm running it in Program Change mode and have re-mapped the buttons using the commands window to NEXT CHUNK, LAST CHUNK & PLAY/STOP (etc.). This works pretty well, simultaneously driving two copies of DP on a master and backup Powerbook for live show playback. However, the synchronization is somewhat (inevitably?!) hit and miss. I've found that I can pretty much solve that problem by setting 'wait for MIDI note'. If I set DP to wait for any MIDI, then any button on the remote box sets the two machine off in 'perfectly close enough' sync every time. This really needs to be one button or commands get confused, so I'm thinking what I need to do is set DP back to wait for note, then
[- here's the question -]
Can DP transform a program change into a MIDI note.
so I can create a GO button..
davidh

Post by davidh »

It may be worth checking out this site. They have both software and hardware solutions to accomplish what you're trying to do. It might be a sledgehammer to crack a nut in your case, but it looks like it might be a very useful tool to have around. There's a free demo too.

https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator
Mac Pro 'Nehalem' 2 x 2.66 Quad Core, 28GB, 10.11.6 || MacBook Pro 2.7 Intel Core i7 Retina, 16GB, 10.11.6 || MOTU 2408 Mk3, 828 Mk 2, MTP AV || DP 9.51 & 9.13, Mach 5 v3, MSI, Ethno2, MX4, VEPro6, all Spectrasonics, Kontakt ... and many of the other usual suspects.
http://www.thekeyboard.co.uk
GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

Thanks for that David. The Borne translator would certainly do what I need and a thousand times more! Very interesting products I'd never heard about.

I'm still amazed that no-one is telling me that DP will easily do this simple transform! I'm hoping at the moment that the developer of the button box that I'm using will be able to re-program the GO button to a MIDI note for me...

Graham
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Have you looked at MIDIPipe? It's donationware.
http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html
I'm not sure it will do what you want but the feature list says:
Message Converter - converts messages from one type to an other
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

Hi,

I now have found an alternative solution to my control change/MIDI note problem, but I now have other issues:

We now have a new USB Go Box. http://www.thatlittlebox.co.uk/usb-go-box
The developer Rob, very helpfully made a 'DP version' with a change to one of the modes to make the GO button send a MIDI note. This almost works perfectly, BUT:
When the machines start to play (after being triggered by a MIDI note), they 'miss' playing the first frame or two of audio, which means our click isn't heard on bar one, beat one!! Can anyone else reproduce this behaviour, or think of a simple solution? Delaying the start of play by more than a little would of course be highly undesirable & a pain having to change many chunks....
I also have another problem; I've started a new post about that:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=63141

Thanks again to David and Phil for your suggestions earlier.
I've now realised who you are - I was listening to records you guys made in the late 1970s, wondering how I'd get to become a sound engineer...
I thoroughly enjoyed your book Phil. I'll read it again when I find it! I think I'd have enjoyed my own career even more if I'd been old enough to start in the seventies!

Cheers
Graham
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

GrahamB wrote:Thanks again to David and Phil for your suggestions earlier.
I've now realised who you are - I was listening to records you guys made in the late 1970s, wondering how I'd get to become a sound engineer...
I thoroughly enjoyed your book Phil. I'll read it again when I find it! I think I'd have enjoyed my own career even more if I'd been old enough to start in the seventies!

Cheers
Graham
I'm not that Phil Brown. There are at least 3 relatively famous Phil Brown's that I'm not.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

Ah, sorry Phil!
I'm Graham Bonnett, but I didn't sing with Rainbow!
SMS

Post by SMS »

Wouldn't MIDI Machine Control work here? It always worked great for me when I used to sync my VS-880 to Performer...
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT