Beach Ball when recording multiple tracks

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Beach Ball when recording multiple tracks

Post by wonder »

I'm doing sessions with a small combo.

Drums, Tuba, Keys.

They're doing about 8 bars at a time and we're working fast ... except...

when I press "STOP" after a take, I'll get beach balling and DP won't respond. All the tracks are still red and the cursor doesn't go back to "auto rewind" position. Its as if DP is "thinking".

It doesn't happen EVERY time but prob 70% of the time.

Anyone else have this issue?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
HCMarkus

Re: Beach Ball when recording multiple tracks

Post by HCMarkus »

Not having that issue, but had to comment on the ensemble with which you are working. Pretty cool.
wonder

Post by wonder »

thanks.

it is really cool. the Tuba player is playing all the bass lines.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

wonder wrote:Its as if DP is "thinking".
Just taking a stab in the dark here, but maybe it's not thinking. Maybe it's writing. What's the condition of your HD? Could it be a free space problem, or perhaps fragmented? Also, what are your auto-save settings?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

You might try streamlining the audio analysis preferences like turning off analyze for beats. You can always turn it back on later if you need.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

csavetman wrote:You might try streamlining the audio analysis preferences like turning off analyze for beats. You can always turn it back on later if you need.
I have turned that off and still get the beachball…
Isn't this the finalizing recording process ?
BTW
I lately realized that recording in CAF and SDII doesn't need finalizing recordings…
But do these formats grab more cpu when recording ?

Klaus
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by MikeInBoston »

I'm always getting beach balls, and I'm not recording. Much of my work involves voice leading in the MIDI Editor. Go figure.

Mike
wonder

Post by wonder »

I do not have "ANALYZE BEATS" on.

The hard drive: the next day I defragmented the drive to cover that possibility. The hard drive is about 1/4 full.

Would it have anything to do with OTHER drives connected to my Mac Pro that perhaps have fallen asleep and are waking up for some reason?