stop sequence at markers automatically?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
johnmillscockell
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

stop sequence at markers automatically?

Post by johnmillscockell »

I have a sequence with say 15 markers. After starting it to play, I would like it to auto-stop when it encounters a marker. Then start sequence playing again manually (space bar) from the marker where it stopped and the sequences auto-stops when it meets the next marker. Each marker is an auto-stop command. Activate play again, the sequence will stop at the next marker. And so on until the sequence has autstopped on the last marker in the sequence. 15 plays and 15 stops. It seems simple to me, but I do not know how to embed the auto-stop commands - which track would they occupy? Ideas most welcome. The idea is to use only play commands to work through the entire sequence.

many thanks, jmc
Last edited by johnmillscockell on Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
stubbsonic

Re: stop sequence at markers automatically?

Post by stubbsonic »

I wonder if you could assign a MIDI note to the COMMAND/TRANSPORT/ to initiate a stop, then put that MIDI note into a track where your markers are. I'm not sure if DP's commands will respond to MIDI that is in the track.

I suppose another approach would be to cut/paste all the sections (from Marker to Marker) into separate sequence chunks and use the chunks features to go from bit to bit.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
johnmillscockell

Post by johnmillscockell »

Thanks Jon, is it necessary to create a new chunk for each stop start, even if for my purpose the chunks are all only one measure in duration? It appears that the use of command letters is a good solution, but requires making a song from 15 chunks, one for each marker. I have avoided making songs, because they seem unnecessarily complex for such a seemingly simple task, but I guess it's time to overcome my trepidation. I'll give it a try. Thanks again, jmc
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

I've done the MIDI note thing with C8 notes (any other notes will do).
C8 assigned to transport play/pause toggle in Command Window.
You must set the MIDI track output to internal MIDI driver, that is to say IAC driver.
Stop time is not very picky but, with a little tweaking, I get reasonable results.
I've used this many times for live shows driven by with a single chunk.
Last edited by daniel.sneed on Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

This might be overkill, but another approach might be to use an external macro utility to move auto stop cues around to markers. It's not impossible though. Would require more brain power to setup than other options, I think.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello,
How about clicking on the marker in the sequence window and hitting [option]spacebar?

OR select Next/Previous follows markers & hit spacebar, this wont auto stop though.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness