QuickScribe for Dummies questions

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

QuickScribe for Dummies questions

Post by David Polich »

I conposed a MIDI fiddle part (triggering Chris Hein
Violin VI) and now I want to open that MIDI track in
QuickScribe, save it as a PDF and email the PDF
to a fiddle player who will learn it and then record
the part on her violin.

I need to do two things with the QuickScribe editor
but I cant figure out how.
1. I want to put the song name at the top of the
chart, and the composer arranger credit below and
to the right of the song name (a la standard charts)
2. There are MIDI notes that were played to trigger
different articulations in the violin VI I used. These
notes are way down at the very bottom of the
keyboard. How do I "erase" them from the QuickScribe
chart?

The rest of the process I have figured out. Any
help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
reedster

Re: QuickScribe for Dummies questions

Post by reedster »

Articulations could go on a separate track or select articulation notes and choose Change Selected Notes to Playback Only from QS mini-menu
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Not at my Mac right now, but there is a QS tool to add text.

I think it's accessible under the "Show Tool Palette" menu item.

If you wanna get even more fancy (repeat signs, double bars, etc.) you can select "Show Arranged Score". It will look pretty messy when it switches over but it will print normally with whatever changes you make.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Also, to give yourself a little more room at the top of page 1, look at the score options and part options in the QS mini-menu. You can make the first page a title page (which gives more room). There are other space saving options, like turning off track names & abbreviations.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There are other ways to do it also.

Export as MusicXML and open in a notation program that supports 3.0 (most do but not all). Then you can edit an actual chart. This is very easy in Finale.

Even the freebie, MuseScore can do that. Its pdf export is problematic but, on a Mac, you can use Preview to take screen shots of the pages and assemble them if you don't like the way the app handles it.

You can also use Preview to add text and mark up your original .pdf in a down and dirty approach if you need to. I sometimes do this if I have to add performance notes or make cuts in pdf files I get from conductors.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

David Polich wrote:2. There are MIDI notes that were played to trigger different articulations in the violin VI I used. These notes are way down at the very bottom of the
keyboard. How do I "erase" them from the Quickscribe editor? Thanks in advance!
Quickscrbe IS a bit of a mystery sometimes isn't it? The DP golden rule? Look in the mini menu for the window you're in and most of the time you'll find your answer.

In this case, select the notes you used for keyswitching in ANY editor, then in Quickscribe's mini menu, go to Change Selected Notes to... Playback only. The notes will hide but are still there in all other editors, (Notation, MIDI and Event). In fact, in the Event Window they are clearly labeled "playback-only", next to the KS note. Even if you move the note it will still stay "Playback only."

In fact, if you export the track or file to XML, the hidden notes are not included in the XML file.

Pretty cool.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE