Rewind by one bar / one beat key command?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
LGK_Dude
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Rewind by one bar / one beat key command?

Post by LGK_Dude »

In Cubase their "rewind" functionality can be set to go by bars, however it seems when I hit the rewind key command in DP, it always jumps back to the beginning of my project. Is there a key command for rewinding just 1 bar, or even 1 beat at a time?
DP 9.12, Mac Pro 8-core 2.93 24GB Ram, Mac OS 10.11.6, UA Apollo
stubbsonic

Re: Rewind by one bar / one beat key command?

Post by stubbsonic »

In the Commands window, way down in the transport section there is Go To Next Measure and Go to Previous Measure. Looks like CONTROL-OPTION-PERIOD (<) and CONTROL-OPTION-COMMA (>)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

What Stubbs said - I set those to numeric keypad 4 and + and use those hundreds of times a day.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
LGK_Dude

Post by LGK_Dude »

Awesome! Thank you guys! I guess there is no way to the same by beats?
DP 9.12, Mac Pro 8-core 2.93 24GB Ram, Mac OS 10.11.6, UA Apollo
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Not that I can see. But you can use the slow & fast rew & ff commands that are defaulted to the 4 5 6 + row of the numeric keypad.

Another command you might find useful is the EDIT COUNTER function. On my machine it is the decimal point on the numeric keypad. I type DECIMAL, then I enter the bar, then hit DECIMAL again and type the beat, then hit ENTER on the keypad.

DECIMAL 4 DECIMAL 2 ENTER

takes me right to bar 4 beat 2.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

stubbsonic wrote:Not that I can see. But you can use the slow & fast rew & ff commands that are defaulted to the 4 5 6 + row of the numeric keypad.

Another command you might find useful is the EDIT COUNTER function. On my machine it is the decimal point on the numeric keypad. I type DECIMAL, then I enter the bar, then hit DECIMAL again and type the beat, then hit ENTER on the keypad.

DECIMAL 4 DECIMAL 2 ENTER

takes me right to bar 4 beat 2.
If you ever hear the old timers on here mention "the dot trick" - that's what they're talking about.
Some other helpful navigation commands available: 'Go to previous marker/go to next marker' (not sure of exact wording).
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
frankf

Post by frankf »

The "dot" trick is one of those indispensable DP features that everyone needs but may not yet know they need it! Not only can you use it for measures, you can use it for whatever time format the counter is set to or by clicking on the secondary time format field in the CP. A director says "I want a change 2mins 10secs" or "place an effect at time code x". You can even change the primary time format with a Command. Once you have command of the keypad, it's wicked fast. Obviously a fan :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

philbrown wrote: If you ever hear the old timers on here mention "the dot trick" - that's what they're talking about.
Who you calling old-timer Phil? Why I oughta get my walker, and come over there and beat you with my respirator. LOL
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

labman wrote:
philbrown wrote: If you ever hear the old timers on here mention "the dot trick" - that's what they're talking about.
Who you calling old-timer Phil? Why I oughta get my walker, and come over there and beat you with my respirator. LOL
:lol:
Something about... someone getting off someone's lawn... it escapes me.

williemyers

Post by williemyers »

sort of along these lines, did DP ever implement a "pre-roll" function? you know, where you can specify a length - by time or by bars/beats" - that DP will drop back to before playing?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me