Reassigning continuous controller data

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
brolly
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Reassigning continuous controller data

Post by brolly »

Hi guys, i've just bought a volume/expression pedal for my mother keyboard and can't get it to work.
So i put DP into record and wiggled it about and it seems its generating controller 64 data. Obviously i need this to be controller 11 so how do i convert it? I went to Region>reassign continuous controller and selected 'change' clicked the 'controller' button and set it to 64 then went to 'to' and selected 'controller' and set it to 11 but 'apply' is greyed out.
help...xx
Killahurts

Re: Reassigning continuous controller data

Post by Killahurts »

Sounds like it might be something you have to do to the keyboard itself.. also, if you plug an expression pedal into a dedicated sustain input, 64 on/off is all that will be controlled. What kind of keyboard is it?
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
brolly

Post by brolly »

Hi Killa
the plot thickens.....when i posted it i had tried plugging it into my Novation ZERO SL Controller, so it was that that was generating controller 64 from the pedal. I tried this after failing to get it to work with the keyboard.
I've just plugged it back into my M-AUDIO Keystation 88es it generates controller 7 volume info.
However it does nothing with omnisphere\Rob Papen Blade 1/Reaktor Razor/ and a few other but does work {although very aggressively} with Ivory piano and spitfire string ensembles.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I'm thinking you might be able to do this in a custom console. You access it at the bottom of the Project menu. It's been years since I messed with a custom console and it had some bugs at the time. IIRC you can create a fader or knob and have the input be one controller and the output be a different controller number.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
brolly

Post by brolly »

I thought it was the simplest thing, buy an expression pedal, plug it in and swell away...are you sure i'm not just being dim here? That's usually the case.
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Is there more than one pedal jack? Seems like you have it plugged into the spot where a sustain pedal should go, not an expression pedal.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
brolly

Post by brolly »

there's just sustain and volume jacks on the back.
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Sorry, I got confused by which controller hardware was generating which controller number. You definitely don't want controller #64.

I think there's three possible solutions. 1. Find out if they keyboard itself can be set to output #11. 2. See if your preferred VIs can be set to receive #7 as if it were #11. 3. Set up a custom console in DP to convert #7 into #11 (or whatever # you want). The third one is slightly more complicated. I'd try the option 1 first.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
brolly

Post by brolly »

[quote]Thanks for all your thoughts guys. xx brolly
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

The console thing isn't difficult.
Create a knob or slider and you get the dialog shown.
Select your track and send and receive controller numbers.

2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Use the MIDI "Reassign Continuous Data" PLUG-IN INSERT in the MIDI channel strip. No bother with custom consoles. From there you can set up custom controller preset conversions for all occasions.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
brolly

Post by brolly »

Ha Ha, just tried that and crashed DP. Time for a cuppa. xx
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Just tried the MIDI plugin for myself. Works great and easy! Hopefully the crash was a coincidence.
brolly

Post by brolly »

ah it wasn't your post that crashed but the one before. just tried your post added a MIDI plugin on the omnisphere plugin told it to change from 7 to 11. as soon as i touch the pedal it changes the 11 back to a 7.
brolly

Post by brolly »

it works!!!!!! now if you have the patience it seems to come on really aggressively and then smooths out .any idea where id look to redraw the volume/expression curve?