mixing board scroll to selection under stand alone mode ?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
vudoo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

mixing board scroll to selection under stand alone mode ?

Post by vudoo »

In a big template, when using the mixing board under Consolidated Window mode there's a nasty delay when switching back and forth with the other windows. If i detach it (stand alone mode), the switch is much faster but i loose the option of scrolling the mixing board to selection. Is there a way around this ???
bleach30
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: mixing board scroll to selection under stand alone mode

Post by bleach30 »

Short answer no but...I just posted in your thread about selection bounds and using the "Show Only Selected Tracks" command concerning your MIDI clip question.

I just tried this same thing with the Mixer detached (stand alone) and it works.

1 Select the tracks in your view (Tracks or Sequence) you want see in the mixer
2 Jump over to the Mixer and goto the View menu/Show Only Tracks/Selected
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

bleach30 wrote:Short answer no but...I just posted in your thread about selection bounds and using the "Show Only Selected Tracks" command concerning your MIDI clip question.

I just tried this same thing with the Mixer detached (stand alone) and it works.

1 Select the tracks in your view (Tracks or Sequence) you want see in the mixer
2 Jump over to the Mixer and goto the View menu/Show Only Tracks/Selected
Sorry for the delayed response...

Is there a way to show the selected track without DP resizing the mixer window ?

When using big track counts in DP under consolidated windows, there's a huge and annoying delay when switching to the mixing board window. The folks at MOTU told me this is normal and suggested i use stand alone mode. Unfortunately, the mixer under this mode won't automatically show your selected track and if i use your suggested method, DP will resize the window to fit the number of tracks i have selected. So let say i select one track amongst my 800 tracks and switch to the mixer, the window resize to fit only one track and if i want to see the full mixer again, DP will take forever to redraw the 800 tracks.
Last edited by vudoo on Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

What is your system? Mac, OS, amount of RAM, HHD or SSD, boot drive or external and connected how, version of DP, plugins you are running?

Every one of those can make a difference. The trick, once we see your system, is to see if there's anything that can be changed or modified to improve your performance.

You'll notice that most of us post the essentials in our signatures. For example, if I knew that you running a 2013 or later Mac Pro, then half of any suggestions I might make go right out the window.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

You might want to set DP up so the selected mixer channel shows in a sidebar in the Consolidated Window. You can have your full Mixer Window detached and all tracks visible via scrolling, yet always have the selected track's mixer channel showing in the Consolidated Window.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

mikehalloran wrote:What is your system? Mac, OS, amount of RAM, HHD or SSD, boot drive or external and connected how, version of DP, plugins you are running?

Every one of those can make a difference. The trick, once we see your system, is to see if there's anything that can be changed or modified to improve your performance.

You'll notice that most of us post the essentials in our signatures. For example, if I knew that you running a 2013 or later Mac Pro, then half of any suggestions I might make go right out the window.
I own two rigs, the first is a nMP 12 cores 2.7 Ghz, 64 GB ram, dual D700 graphics running Sierra and the second, a nMP 6 cores 3.5 Ghz, 64 GB, dual D500 graphics running El Captain.

Both rigs exhibit the same annoying delay when switching to the Mixer Window (with 800 tracks).

If i use stand alone window, the mixer won't auto update to the selected track and if i use Show only/Select tracks under View menu, DP will resize the window to only fit that one selected track and hide the rest so when you reselect view all tracks again, DP must redraw all the 800 tracks again, thus i'm stuck with the same nasty delay as when i was in consolidated mode.

What DP must do is NOT hide any tracks and simply scroll to the selected track, basically that's what all other DAWs do, this way the switch is instantaneous.
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

HCMarkus wrote:You might want to set DP up so the selected mixer channel shows in a sidebar in the Consolidated Window. You can have your full Mixer Window detached and all tracks visible via scrolling, yet always have the selected track's mixer channel showing in the Consolidated Window.
I do have the selected mixer channel shown in sidebar/consolidated window but i use the full mixer more often as i work with multi/group instruments most of the times (drums, perc, horn section etc)
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

Now I never said my solution was a pretty one.. :)

Yes, DP will resize the mixer AND yes, it is annoying AND I totally agree..hmmmm..how about this other irritating suggestion.....you could create some Layout scenarios. You have a lot of tracks and it wold take a minute to set up but at least you could have a set number of tracks show up in the mixer to where it wouldn't resize.
waxman

Post by waxman »

When using a control surface with the mixer window in stand alone mode as long as it's not selected it will stay static... When selected it scrolls to whatever the controller is doing. By also having the channel strip in stand alone mode you can always see the selected track regardless if the mixer is selected or not. Not sure this info will relate to your set up but I would like to see MOTU address some of the mixer configs. Including breaking out automation from the solo/mute/record/input buttons.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.