click into Bounce?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
williemyers
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

click into Bounce?

Post by williemyers »

morning, all

99 times out of 100 I would never want my click included in a bounce. But in this morning's case, I do.
I've set the "always" Audio Click to output to bus1-2.
created an Aux track with bus 1-2 as it's input, and Ana 1-2 as it's output. Created a Master track.
When I roll with Click On, I can see the Click coming up in the Aux & in the Master and, of course, hear it.
But when I select Aux & Master and another track - with Click still On - and bounce (with Ana 1-2 as my source) the resultant soundbite has no Click.
??
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
stubbsonic

Re: click into Bounce?

Post by stubbsonic »

I wonder if DP just omits the click by default to avoid unintended clicks on mixes. Might make sense to just bus it to another pair and print it to an audio track.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

That's what I do.... just play four beats into a track, quantize them to 1/4 notes, and start the sequence on measure 2.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Gravity Jim wrote:That's what I do.... just play four beats into a track, quantize them to 1/4 notes, and start the sequence on measure 2.
A little tangential, but I always have that first "dead" bar.

Probably a holdover from the only MIDI days with the patch selects and controller info prior to the actual song!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

williemyers

Post by williemyers »

hey guys, thanks all for your responses.

I think stubbsonic nailed it when he wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:I wonder if DP just omits the click by default to avoid unintended clicks on mixes.
and as for:
stubbsonic wrote:Might make sense to just bus it to another pair and print it to an audio track.
I was going to do that, but my track was 6+ min. long and, needing click thruout, I just thought it might be quicker to do it in a Bounce.

but thanks again, all!
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs

~me
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

williemyers wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:Might make sense to just bus it to another pair and print it to an audio track.
I was going to do that, but my track was 6+ min. long and, needing click thruout, I just thought it might be quicker to do it in a Bounce.

but thanks again, all!
Well, if your tempo and meter are static and doesn't change throughout a long section, you can print 2 measures of audio then loop that infinitely or the right number of times. That would save you that 6 minute pass.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

williemyers

Post by williemyers »

stubbsonic wrote:Well, if your tempo and meter are static and doesn't change throughout a long section, you can print 2 measures of audio then loop that infinitely or the right number of times. That would save you that 6 minute pass.
ah, never used a loop on a bounce before! thanks for that!

~me
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If your click is set to an external device, I would think you could bus that back into DP. If that is not possible, what I would probably do is record the click track in Audio Hijack and import that into the DP project, then bounce from there.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:If your click is set to an external device, I would think you could bus that back into DP. If that is not possible, what I would probably do is record the click track in Audio Hijack and import that into the DP project, then bounce from there.
Since DP allows you to assign the click to any output or bus, you can just record it in DP without bringing Audio Hijack into the process. DP will record the click from a bus in realtime, you just can't include it in a bounce. I see the logic of that-- bounce what is in the tracks window. Your trick to bring it over to an Aux track just assumes that DP even activates a click in the bounce operation, which it apparently does not. I suppose we can think of it a bit like hiding the cursor for a screen capture.

As a workflow you can always record your click the background in the same pass that you record another track in realtime. And, as mentioned, a short loop for a static tempo/meter/pattern, will work in a bounce. Furthermore, you could-- in your template-- bus the click to some unique bus that you wouldn't otherwise use), and create a track that is dedicated to the click (and input monitoring turned on). That way it is always already set up.

But it sounds like this was an unusual case for you, anyway.