4k All The Way

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

4k All The Way

Post by HCMarkus »

TL:DR: My "ancient" 2009 4,1 Mac Pro is now running Sierra and driving a 40" 4k TV at 60Hz.
Outstanding! The screen real estate is unbelievable and will be greatly enhancing my efficiency in the studio. Achieving this result took a very small amount of money, but a little research was required to reach the full potential of 4k. If you are interested, read on...

As anyone who has frequented these parts for a while knows, I have been a proponent of upgrading 2009 (and 2010/2012) Mac Pros to the fastest possible CPUs (W3680/90 and X5680/90) to keep the machines viable and competitive with newer computers. The thread linked below goes into all the details, and includes success stories from a number of our fellow board members. Of course, I have done the upgrade myself and love my six core Mac Pros.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58848&hilit=X5680

Note that the price for the CPU upgrade is now in the $100 per CPU range.

Having been unable to resist purchasing the new modeling Bass VI MODO (it is fantastic!), I was forced to bring my OS up to date from the rock solid 10.8. I also updated DP to 9.12. With the exception of some fairly minor mouse issues, reportedly to be addressed in DP9.13, Sierra and DP are running great on my Mac Pro.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62739&p=536136&hil ... 60#p536136

In the above-linked thread, I detailed my GPU upgrade to the inexpensive AMD RX 460, which I purchased on sale for $89. Although it is not a Mac EFI card, it works perfectly under Sierra, but does not display the initial boot screen (which can be an issue for users of File Vault encryption and dual-booting OS X/Windows). As I am OS X all the way and don't use File Vault, the card has been flawless for me, running three monitors, one each connected to the DP, DV and HDMI card ports.

All of the above caused me to develop a strong Jonesing for a 4k monitor. Yes, I have eyed friends' beautiful 27" 5k iMac displays with envy... so clear, so much space on the screen. But the hi-res world has been somewhat elusive to those who, like me, were unwilling to spend big bucks on a 4k or 5k computer monitor, and interface issues were challenging to grok.

However, a few days ago, while wandering thru Costco, I noted the best deal I have seen on a 4k TV... $289 for a 40" Samsung 6290 display. Understanding Costco's generous return policy, I couldn't resist tucking the Samsung under my arm (well... it didn't really fit under my arm, but I was able to carry it out with two hands) and trying it out at home. Augmented by several appropriate cables that would reach the 15' from my machine room to desk, I got right down to testing.

Upon boot up, the picture was immediately enthralling, but I was able to get 4k resolution only at 30Hz, which resulted in mouse lag that's quite noticeable. (I set the panel to "Game Mode" to enable fastest response, but lag was still an issue.) 30Hz was the fastest refresh rate available using either HDMI to HDMI or DP to HDMI cabling. After a day's use, I started getting used to the lag, but research had me convinced that the TV and AMD RX460 were both capable of running at 60Hz.

The ultimate solution was found after exploring MacRumors, TonyMac and a TV enthusiast's site. I found mention of two essential items:

SwitchResX software
https://www.madrau.com/support/support/srx_1011.html

Club3D Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 UHD
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017B ... UTF8&psc=1

I connected the TV via DP to HDMI using the $30 Club Active Adaptor linked to above (with 15' HDMI to HDMI cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015O ... UTF8&psc=1 )

Still only 30Hz.

On the Samsung display, I turned on HDMI UHD Color in the Expert Picture settings for HDMI 1. Still 30Hz max.

SwitchResX did the trick... disabling SIP was necessary to install and use the $14 shareware (instructions provided at the linked SwitchResX page), but once I got SwitchResX installed and running, set the startup to 60Hz, rebooted, and selected 60Hz in System Preferences>Displays, I had a fantastic looking 40" 4k monitor with tons of real estate (almost 4x the two displays it replaces) that responded perfectly to my mouse movements. Reenabled SIP when all was done.

Total cost, including the graphics card, TV, adaptor, cable and software, about $450. I anticipate returns many times over as I use DP with greater efficiency than ever before possible. You may want to try it, too.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
buzzsmith

Re: 4k All The Way

Post by buzzsmith »

Good for you! Glad you got everything up and running.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

waxman

Post by waxman »

Congrats Marcus... all the more reason I'm selling my 2013 Trash can 6 core and getting a MacBook Pro... and as Daltry would say... going mo....bile... I am so ready consolidate. I'll be done with this project by September... Lots of changes just around the corner. woohoo
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Thanks for the update! Food for thought to be sure.

Putting a pair of Equator D8s on my desk has pressed the point that my office/studio needs a complete redesign, ground up. My 27" iMac is ok but the 24" side monitors are too small and too far away from these aging eyes. There's no way my current setup can support 4K nor can my desk fit larger monitors... yet.

40" 4K x3 ... Ooooooh.... I'm liking the possibilities. :love:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm going to experiment today to see if I can get 60Hz without the Club D adaptor using only the SwitchResX software. I'll try using both HDMI to HDMI and DP to HDMI cables and report back later.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

It is incredible to me how inexpensively you can upgrade to 4K nowadays!
Last summer I picked up a 43" HiSense 4k for $299 during the Amazon Prime annual sale, which has changed my world! I have a 27" to its left and a 19" VGA on the right for small utility screens and have never been so efficient. Nor have my eyes been given such a break before! :-)

Well done adapting those Macs to use these bargains!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Yes Terry, as Sun Ra would say, "Space is the Place".

I just put one of my (former main) 24" 16:10 Dell displays in the secondary position, a big improvement over the 19" Samsung that resided there previously as it gives me the pixels I need to see the whole CueMix Mixer without scrolling.

Experimentation concluded, I was able to achieve the 60Hz display response ONLY when using the Club D adaptor. . But with that adaptor, the proper cables and SwitchResX, 4k is amazing!

In a 4k nutshell folks, try it, you'll like it. :smash:
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote: 40" 4K x3 ... Ooooooh.... I'm liking the possibilities. :love:
Glutton. :lol: