NAMM 2017 DP New Features Video

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NAMM 2017 DP New Features Video

Post by Michael Canavan »

dix wrote: A green square looks fine in MoTools, for example, but not in a lot of other themes.
The square changes color depending on the Theme in the case of the one Gaz posted. In None More Black for instance is unsurprisingly black. 8)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

dix wrote:
Tesionman wrote:I agree 100%!! DP would greatly benefit if the MIDI velocities looked something like this:

This might not work on denser tracks with notes that are just a few ticks apart. I tried the mod and it becomes immediately obvious that it's a lot trickier than one would think to find something that works. A green square looks fine in MoTools, for example, but not in a lot of other themes.
Which is why I said you can colour it depending on the Theme you are in - the green square is the one you alter so copy it and change to a colour that works for your theme. It is better than the v.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
dix

Post by dix »

I think the square is better than the v too. I guess you could create a separate copy of DP with different resource pngs for each theme you use.

I googled and looked at images of StudioVision and how it dealt with velocity. Looks like the velocity stems were just a pixel or two wider than they are in DP. No handle or v. As I recall you could grab the stems anywhere and drag them up or down. It worked well.

...there's several things I forgot about that were so cool about SVP that I wish MOTU would pick off the carcass. Such as audio in, what DP calls, the MIDI Editor (stacked between the MIDI edit field and the Continuous Data Ruler), so you can see all/any of the audio in the same window as all/any of the MIDI in a project. And "velocity" stems for audio, so you can see and change a soundbite's bite-volume the same way you can with MIDI data.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

dix wrote:I think the square is better than the v too. I guess you could create a separate copy of DP with different resource pngs for each theme you use.

I googled and looked at images of StudioVision and how it dealt with velocity. Looks like the velocity stems were just a pixel or two wider than they are in DP. No handle or v. As I recall you could grab the stems anywhere and drag them up or down. It worked well.

...there's several things I forgot about that were so cool about SVP that I wish MOTU would pick off the carcass. Such as audio in, what DP calls, the MIDI Editor (stacked between the MIDI edit field and the Continuous Data Ruler), so you can see all/any of the audio in the same window as all/any of the MIDI in a project. And "velocity" stems for audio, so you can see and change a soundbite's bite-volume the same way you can with MIDI data.
You don't have to make a copy of DP - the png resources are in the Theme itself - so each Theme has it's own png's which take precedence over DP's default png's.

I am a Vision fan - and have always felt the one edit window in Vision DSP/Studio Vision(rather than two in DP - MIDI and Sequences) was a better way of doing things. But I am used to DP now.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.