NAMM 2017 DP New Features Video

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bleach30
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NAMM 2017 DP New Features Video

Post by bleach30 »

I would like to be able to UPDATE layouts with new tracks instead of having to delete and do the whole thing over.

Also would like an option like "All windows follow track selection" just as an option. I don't mind them being independent but sometimes I want to see the same thing in all the windows.
dix

Post by dix »

1) Larger Velocity On points (the red Vs) in the MIDI window"s Median strip, (and something for the Sequence window too). Changing the color of the On Velocites to a bright yellow helped a bit. Perhaps velocity handles like R••••• has, or something similar to Logic.
This has bugged me for so long I actually forgot about it. The fiddly little stalks for MIDI velocity was the first thing that drove me nuts about DP when I switched from StudioVision. It's hard to discern them from smudges on the monitor sometime.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

dix wrote:
1) Larger Velocity On points (the red Vs) in the MIDI window"s Median strip, (and something for the Sequence window too). Changing the color of the On Velocites to a bright yellow helped a bit. Perhaps velocity handles like R••••• has, or something similar to Logic.
This has bugged me for so long I actually forgot about it. The fiddly little stalks for MIDI velocity was the first thing that drove me nuts about DP when I switched from StudioVision. It's hard to discern them from smudges on the monitor sometime.
And to make matters worse those tiny velocity on and off points go away in Lines Mode, which I work in several hours a day in exclusively. The only way I know the exact velocity of a note in my main orchestral MIDI window set is to look at the event strip in the information bar, which can cause a lot of eye fatigue. The note's shade of color helps for visual inspection. But for editing, for a Hollywood favorite, having to use a dialog box, the Event list or the tiny icons, is too 1980's.

MOTU hasn't made many modern MIDI editor interface changes to DP in many versions. I was really hoping that the all important version 10 would see modern editing methods added (nothing taken away), because it wouldn't be that hard to implement.

DP's Lines Mode works well when the ramp density is set low (I set mine at 4). In that scenario a CC type line (even though velocity is a switch), would actually work and would be easy to include. But the Logic or Reaper way of editing would be so much better.

I looked at the red V's in the resource icons but they're in the same file as other icons and I'm not sure if they can be altered effectively.

Here's hoping.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
dix

Post by dix »

And to make matters worse those tiny velocity on and off points go away in Lines Mode
That's not how it is for me. The controller data toggles between Lines or Points depending on which Edit typer I select. ...[EDIT] Oh, in the ME the stalks go away. Not in the SE though.

I've not seen any indication that the preview was of DP10. I assumed 9.2.

And what's R*****? Reaper? Is there a reason why you dare not spell the name? [EDIT] Ha! I just found out that forum's code prohibits spelling Reaper. Weird.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dix wrote:And what's R*****? R•••••? Is there a reason why you dare not spell the name? [EDIT] Ha! I just found out that forum's code prohibits spelling R•••••. Weird.
Long story. I chose to block the spelling of that particular DAW as I felt they were essentially gaining market share years ago by "dumping" the software on the market very cheap, as well as employing ineffectual "copy protection" which consisted of a nag screen at first launch of the day.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Steve Steele wrote: I looked at the red V's in the resource icons but they're in the same file as other icons and I'm not sure if they can be altered effectively.
Yeah you can, someone hacked it to be a large square, so much better, if I find the link to the drop he made of it I'l toos it here. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Link for velocity mod:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62715
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote:Link for velocity mod:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62715
Thanks. I've tried a few of my own resource mods and haven't found a solution I like yet. I hope MOTU update this, as it's more than obvious it needs to be.

But I may try and modify it again.

Thanks.

Tonio

Post by Tonio »

ooooh, thanks for the velocity mod Michael. I missed that thread.

I've been using the event strip/ info bar while using reshape tool, which is kinda of a pain. This is a no go for chords, and need to switch to percentage - velocity change command.

It would be great if MOTU can implement a better workflow on them pesky tiny v's.
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

You can change the colour to suit the theme but you can't make it bigger than a small square - but it's better than a v.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
dix

Post by dix »

Wait. You guys are hacking the dp source code? No way I'm doing that. But I would totally buy a skin that made the velocity points easier to see.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

James Steele wrote:
dix wrote:And what's R*****? R•••••? Is there a reason why you dare not spell the name? [EDIT] Ha! I just found out that forum's code prohibits spelling R•••••. Weird.
Long story. I chose to block the spelling of that particular DAW as I felt they were essentially gaining market share years ago by "dumping" the software on the market very cheap, as well as employing ineffectual "copy protection" which consisted of a nag screen at first launch of the day.
James - Do you mind if I post an image of a piano roll MIDI note from the banned DAW? I'd like others to see an approach I believe MOTU should take with velocity editing. It's sort of a hybrid Reaper/Cubase concept. Thought asking was the polite thing to do.

I agree with your choice to ban the name, and find it funny at the same time, but I must say that Reaper is a totally different type of DAW with a much different feature set. I don't think anyone who relies on Digital Performer and it's workflow would ever find Reaper suitable. Not to mention that it has one of the most ill conceived GUIs possible, (except for the velocity thing oddly enough).

Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

dix wrote:Wait. You guys are hacking the dp source code? No way I'm doing that. But I would totally buy a skin that made the velocity points easier to see.
Not the source code. Just the graphic resources. It's actually very easy to do. You open a png file in Photoshop or whichever app you like, and change the "V" into a square and fill it with color. Done.

But like you said, buying one from our friend who makes those nice DP skins would be a good way to go.

Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Guitar Gaz wrote:You can change the colour to suit the theme but you can't make it bigger than a small square - but it's better than a v.

Do the two icon sets, kPerf7IconSetID_PictID and kPerf7IconSetID_PictID@2x have to be edited too? Because they contain the "V" icons and some others as well.

Or is it just cdDataCicn? cdMenuCicn4 looks like it has the shaded element (the black "V").

Just editing cdMenuCicn did not change the "V" in the MIDI editor.

Thanks

dix

Post by dix »

Okay, I'm getting interested. Where does one find these png files? Can someone please give more detail on how to make this mod?