NAMM 2017 DP New Features Video

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NAMM 2017 DP New Features Video

Post by Michael Canavan »

sndmarks wrote:What was the "Expanding to multiple computer setups" item on the screen - right before David switched to demoing in DP?

Are they introducing a cubase-like system-link feature?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Yeah I'm curious about that too. If anyone is interested, freeze the first video at exactly 5:15.

It could be referring to VSL Pro, but maybe MOTU decided to do what Cubase and in an odd way Logic does and have other computers offload processing power etc? curious to know...
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
ddas

Post by ddas »

The "Expanding to Multi-Computer Setups" slide was part of my other presentation, and is pretty Vienna Ensemble Pro-centric. It doesn't refer to any upcoming DP features.

Besides the new algorithms, one of the most notable little-noticed elements of the new feature is the Absolute and Relative pulldown menu. Being able to work in Relative mode means you can do all kinds of zany things with the pitch of soundbites that wasn't possible before. It reminds me some of things I've seen people do in Ableton and I've always wanted to be able to do in DP.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

The gnawing question on my mind is: Are we talking about a paid upgrade here? Was 9.12 the last free bug-fix update???

I ask because I've not seen it mentioned yet - forgive me if I missed it.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
ddas

Post by ddas »

MOTU didn't mention that (nor a release date).
waxman

Post by waxman »

Was there a mention of polyphonic pitch editing like Melodyne? fix a note in a guitar chord or cello in a string section?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
ddas

Post by ddas »

No. I mentioned in the other thread: I believe that's a Melodyne patented thing. And honestly, it works sometimes and doesn't work other times, depending on the material.
waxman

Post by waxman »

ddas wrote:No. I mentioned in the other thread: I believe that's a Melodyne patented thing. And honestly, it works sometimes and doesn't work other times, depending on the material.
Yep I thought so... Thanks... I stopped using Melodyne for DP pitch when I saw your video David in like 2012? But I was hoping if MOTU made it polyphonic pitch would work... probably better to just do take 2. I have enough things I leave for the mix now because of the great DP tools... hahaha
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
mwilloam

Post by mwilloam »

I watched the videos but just to clarify, how is relative shifting different than selecting all pitch points(or the soundbite itself) and using transpose(audio:pitch auto) from Region and choosing say 5semitones?
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

mwilloam wrote:I watched the videos but just to clarify, how is relative shifting different than selecting all pitch points(or the soundbite itself) and using transpose(audio:pitch auto) from Region and choosing say 5semitones?
You can free-form draw pitch shifting in relative mode for one thing.

It's also a different way to display things that may be more intuitive depending on how you work or the source material.
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

Thanks, ddas, James and Buzzy. I learn every time I come here. Ironically I'll fly transcontinental early tomorrow, just missing NAMM. :( :D And while I won't throw out Melodyne just yet, it's great to see time stretching and muscular pitch alteration coming online! Thanks, MOTU!
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

tommymandel wrote:it's great to see time stretching and muscular pitch alteration coming online! Thanks, MOTU!
Well and to clarify, (not necessarily for you but for others who aren't DP users), time stretching has been there a long time, only now it, too, is more "muscular" with a much improved algorithm. I heard the results in person and they were very impressive.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mwilloam

Post by mwilloam »

Robert Randolph wrote:
mwilloam wrote:I watched the videos but just to clarify, how is relative shifting different than selecting all pitch points(or the soundbite itself) and using transpose(audio:pitch auto) from Region and choosing say 5semitones?
You can free-form draw pitch shifting in relative mode for one thing.

It's also a different way to display things that may be more intuitive depending on how you work or the source material.
Right, yes, the automation is cool.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote:Well and to clarify, (not necessarily for you but for others who aren't DP users), time stretching has been there a long time, only now it, too, is more "muscular" with a much improved algorithm. I heard the results in person and they were very impressive.
This.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

James - Were there any presentations, or did you find anything out about upcoming MIDI editing changes or improvements? Modern monitor resolutions and sizes have really made it tough to see some of the early Performer GUI elements.

Just to mention a few I'm hoping to see:

1) Larger Velocity On points (the red Vs) in the MIDI window"s Median strip, (and something for the Sequence window too). Changing the color of the On Velocites to a bright yellow helped a bit. Perhaps velocity handles like Reaper has, or something similar to Logic.

2) Note names and octave on or around MIDI notes along with what already exists in the Pitch ruler and in the Event strip in the Information Bar.

3) Vertical zoom ability in the Notation editor.

4) General improvements to the Quickscribe editor.

If you saw any of these things I'd be most happy.

Thanks!

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
waxman

Post by waxman »

Add 1 more...

Larger bar numbers in Tracks Overview...

This was not an issue to me in the past. Now using the Raven the TB Apple cinema display I use for the T.O. window is 3 feet away. I have good eyes knock on wood but the bar numbers 5, 6, 8, are tough to distinguish from that distance. Seems like some of the DP fonts go back to the first computer I used with DP or "P"... The Mac SE 30 that sat 1 foot from my face...lol
waxman