NAMM 2017 DP New Features Video

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Guitar Gaz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NAMM 2017 DP New Features Video

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Steve Steele wrote: Do the two icon sets, kPerf7IconSetID_PictID and kPerf7IconSetID_PictID@2x have to be edited too? Because they contain the "V" icons and some others as well.

Or is it just cdDataCicn? cdMenuCicn4 looks like it has the shaded element (the black "V").

Just editing cdMenuCicn did not change the "V" in the MIDI editor.

Thanks
The icon sets you mention don't appear in my Themes for editing (so not aware of them but will check later). Those are not the ones that dictate this velocity dot being changed from a v.

Both versions of the png file I do mention in the thread (cdDataCicn.png and cdDataCicn@2x.png ) need altering and will work on the MIDI editor and MIDI tracks in the Sequence editor. The 2 files cover the different display resolutions.

As for Amplidood themes these are now discontinued as far as we can tell - I did offer to make Mellow available free of charge to Amplidood having spent several hours making it DP9 and 5K compatible so he could continue selling it (and offered to update some of his other themes if he wanted to so he could continue to sell them too) - but there was no reply and no-one else responded to ask for this. So despite my offer (free no strings attached) it looks as if Amplidood's themes are dead for DP9 onwards.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

dix wrote:Okay, I'm getting interested. Where does one find these png files? Can someone please give more detail on how to make this mod?
Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules. Make a backup of DP. I'm not responsible for any mistakes you may make but I admit I am responsible for probably not having enough sense to leave enough alone. But, I used to Res Edit the heck out of everything back in the System 7 days. So, I paid my dues a LONG time ago! :D

Simple. 5 easy steps.

1) Make a duplicate of your DP app.

2) Right click on "Digital Performer copy" and select "Show Package Contents."

3) Dig down through these folders: Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Images.

4) Have a GOOD look around before you decide to edit anything. Not all files are what you may think they are. For example, the first images you see like 11000.png, 11001.png and 11002.png and up to 11015.png aren't the actual graphics for the toolbar. They're the graphics that appear as rollover images in the preferences under "Tools." So it can take some time to know what actually does what despite what it may look like. Use a lot of common sense.

5) WHEN YOU'RE READY, open a file you know is ok to mod in any image editor like Photoshop. Just needs to be able to save as a .png file. Pixelmator is one of the awesome image editing apps these days. However you edit the image, or icon in the image IT MUST BE THE EXACT SAME SIZE IN SQUARE PIXELS (think about that one.) There might be some exemptions to that rule but it's been SO long since I've gone resource editing that I'm not sure. Save your edit back into the same place you found it. It will replace the original. Be sure to name it EXACTLY the same. It's best to copy and paste the name.

Open DP and look for your edit. If you've screwed things up beyond all help, trash the copy
of the DP you were working on, and just make another copy from the original DP app. NEVER mess with your working DP app. Only copies.

Enjoy.

P.S. Hope I just didn't open a Pandora's box!

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Guitar Gaz wrote:
Steve Steele wrote: Do the two icon sets, kPerf7IconSetID_PictID and kPerf7IconSetID_PictID@2x have to be edited too? Because they contain the "V" icons and some others as well.

Or is it just cdDataCicn? cdMenuCicn4 looks like it has the shaded element (the black "V").

Just editing cdMenuCicn did not change the "V" in the MIDI editor.

Thanks
The icon sets you mention don't appear in my Themes for editing (so not aware of them but will check later). Those are not the ones that dictate this velocity dot being changed from a v.

Both versions of the png file I do mention in the thread (cdDataCicn.png and cdDataCicn@2x.png ) need altering and will work on the MIDI editor and MIDI tracks in the Sequence editor. The 2 files cover the different display resolutions.

As for Amplidood themes these are now discontinued as far as we can tell - I did offer to make Mellow available free of charge to Amplidood having spent several hours making it DP9 and 5K compatible so he could continue selling it (and offered to update some of his other themes if he wanted to so he could continue to sell them too) - but there was no reply and no-one else responded to ask for this. So despite my offer (free no strings attached) it looks as if Amplidood's themes are dead for DP9 onwards.
Thanks for confirming. I modded None More Black pretty good a few years back so I think I can remember where everything is after some time. But I've been really busy lately and if you're still open to it maybe we could talk about how I can get the square MIDI editor velocity files from you.

I tried to contact Amplidood about a year ago and got no response. So, ok. I was wondering if he had moved on.

Thanks again.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

Re DP New Features does anyone know if DP's new time stretching, can be done simultaneously over multiple tracks, by dragging with the cursor. This would be very handy for drum editing. Although phase coherency between mics would be interesting. Asking for the impossible I know!!

Can you believe pitch automation was introduced in 2005!! Still so few people know about it!

Also the video mentioned being able to time stretch/compress to a specific bpm. Is this a new feature and if not can anyone elaborate on how to do this?

Thanks in advance

Sean
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
buzzsmith

NAMM 2017 DP New Features Video

Post by buzzsmith »

Sean Kenny wrote:Re DP New Features does anyone know if DP's new time stretching, can be done simultaneously over multiple tracks, by dragging with the cursor.
Sean
I have nothing but a hunch. Since DP currently allows multiple soundbite selection (like sliding 7 or so drum tracks to shorten the soundbites after the final cymbal ring out and applying fades), I would assume that time stretching would work similarly.

I guess we'll see!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

That is the one thing I've always wished that it would do, here's hoping. Cheers Sean
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Just tried it with the current stretching algorithm and method.

Highlighted two tracks and went to the end of the song.

Positioned cursor where it turned into the hand icon and dragged right.

Only works on one track at a time. The one that the hand is on. The other track is not affected.

My bad.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

dix

Post by dix »

buzzsmith wrote:Just tried it with the current stretching algorithm and method. ...Only works on one track at a time. ...The one that the hand is on. The other track is not affected.
I bet you could achieve the effect of stretching multiple tracks to the exact same length, one at a time, with snap-to-markers.

[EDIT] Alas, time-stretch and edge edit do not snap-to-markers. Coulda sworn it did. My other workaround would involve changing the tempo and applying Adjust Soundbites Sequence Tempo to the target tracks. Not convenient, but it works
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dix

Post by dix »

Steve Steele wrote:Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules.
I'm more worried about the licensing agreement for DP. Is this a violation?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

Good try guys sadly none of those ideas seem to fit the bill. The ideal would be to group the drum tracks and be able to stretch all the sound files together in one hit by just dragging one of the files in the top right hand corner using the hand tool. Even then as good as dP is I wonder about the phase coherency of the kit sound.
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

You can of course do this using scale time, but it would just be great to be able to do it visually using the mouse rather than having to get your Calculator out
dix

Post by dix »

Sean Kenny wrote:Good try guys sadly none of those ideas seem to fit the bill. The ideal would be to group the drum tracks and be able to stretch all the sound files together in one hit by just dragging one of the files in the top right hand corner using the hand tool. Even then as good as dP is I wonder about the phase coherency of the kit sound.
By selecting all the tracks and applying Copy Sequence Tempo to Soundbites, then changing the tempo (slower to stretch, faster to compress the files), then selecting all of the files and applying Adjust Soundbites to Sequence Tempo you would stretch them all at the same time to the same duration. We'll see if the new engine is better, but with the current time stretching engine this operation I describe would create something ugly and unusable with wildly random phase cohesion.
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

Its too bad we have to go to all this trouble to make an icon bigger in DP. One of the big reasons at times I use PT is because the mixer is a good size and even the icons for MIDI. Everything is so tiny. I wish they would give us the choice to make the mixer bigger and MIDI editing also.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

I agree 100%!! DP would greatly benefit if the MIDI velocities looked something like this:

Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
dix

Post by dix »

Tesionman wrote:I agree 100%!! DP would greatly benefit if the MIDI velocities looked something like this:

This might not work on denser tracks with notes that are just a few ticks apart. I tried the mod and it becomes immediately obvious that it's a lot trickier than one would think to find something that works. A green square looks fine in MoTools, for example, but not in a lot of other themes.