How to set up nanoKontrol 2 in CC Mode?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tama300
Primary DAW OS: Windows

How to set up nanoKontrol 2 in CC Mode?

Post by Tama300 »

Greetings, I have been using my nanoKontrol2 in DP mode, but now I'm trying to use it on CC Mode. The faders and knobs works perfectly but I can`t configure the Transport control. I went into the DP/commands, in the Transport section, to edit the event list and press the physical button on the nanokontrol. End up with something like: #45 | 127.

But, it still does not work ... Anyone know how to set it up correctly?

Thanks
Last edited by Tama300 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
williemyers
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to set up nanoKontrol 2 in CC Mode?

Post by williemyers »

I'll try taking a look. I also use it for CC's, but never did get it working correctly for DAW control....
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
reedster

Post by reedster »

In DP/Commands do you have the command in Play/Stop toggle?

Is the Korg button set to Momentary?

In DP/Commands is Transport Master activated?
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
Tama300

Post by Tama300 »

Image[/url]

Yes, I tried all that things :/. I don´t know where is the problem. In the DP/COmmands "Source" I selected "nanoKontrol2 - any", is that ok?

My faders CC11 and CC2 works fine, and the knobs too, I can also control my Instruments with the learn mode and press any button. But nothing seems to work for transport control
reedster

Post by reedster »

Your settings look pretty much like mine - Record, Play Stop Toggle and Stop all work as expected over here.

Save your Command Bindings. Then Reset to Default Key Bindings and put the Korg info back in.

See post 6 about resetting preferences, make note of the reset warning:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62664
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
Tama300

Post by Tama300 »

Mmm still does not work ... when I finish some projects, I'm going to reinstall DP. If I have luck I will post here.

thank you anyway!
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

As I said before - I don't think the NanoKontrol 2 works in CC mode (only works in DAW mode) - only the NanoKontrol 1 seems to. I tried everything - just glad I have both. But as I said, if you can get the NanoKontrol 2 working in CC mode I would love to know how.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Tama300

Post by Tama300 »

Hi Gaz! I replied to you in the other post:
"To use nanoKontorl2 in CC mode you have to press and hold down the SET MARKER and CYCLE buttons and then connect the USB cable.
Then you are able to configure with the Korg Kontrol Editor.

But I don't know why, DP doesn't recognize my settings for transport buttons"

This guy could do it in Logic:
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Thanks Tama300 - I will try this as it would be useful as I use V-Racks and controlling the faders on those only works in CC mode. Any success I'll let others know.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I got the Kontrol2 working in CC mode but it is more clunky than the Kontrol1 which only works in CC mode - the Kontrol2 is more designed for DAW mode and is good for that.

However, James did a tutorial on this subject ages ago (link below) which shows you how to set up the Transport Controls in the Commands Window which attaches the Kontrol Transport buttons. Although for other controllers, most of this works for the Nano but whether you want to use this unit for Transport is up to you - I stick with my Apple Keyboard commands.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30997
Gary Shepherd
daerp1

Post by daerp1 »

I seem to have my nanoKontrol2 working in DAW mode reasonably well. When I boot it in CC mode it seems to send out data for, say CC11, but DP9 doesn't record the data. I set the track to record in overdub mode and press play and move a slider. I can hear changes in volume but the actual Expression CC11 data is not recorded.
Any advice?
Digital Performer 10, iMac using OSX 10.14.5