DP NAMM 2017

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP NAMM 2017

Post by waxman »

stubbsonic wrote:Good pitch & time (especially polyphonic, though that need would only rarely arise) would be a strong incentive for me to make the leap from 8 to 9.
Are you saying DP pitch will have polyphonic editing like Melodyne where you can go in and change a note in the guitar chord? Or a cello note in a string section?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

waxman wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:Good pitch & time (especially polyphonic, though that need would only rarely arise) would be a strong incentive for me to make the leap from 8 to 9.
Are you saying DP pitch will have polyphonic editing like Melodyne where you can go in and change a note in the guitar chord? Or a cello note in a string section?
As far as we know so far, no it will not.
ddas

Post by ddas »

No, it won't. As far as I know, that's a patented Melodyne feature. (FWIW, it sometimes works well and sometimes works poorly, depending on the source material...)
thracks

Post by thracks »

I'm still hoping they'll give Volta the MX4 treatment. I'd love to see it integrated into DP. I was secretly hoping they might mention something like this at NAMM. It's probably not a big seller on this forum, but the modular market has exploded since they first introduced Volta. It would be so cool to have that tech built in to DP.
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

ddas wrote:No, it won't. As far as I know, that's a patented Melodyne feature. (FWIW, it sometimes works well and sometimes works poorly, depending on the source material...)
That's for sure. I was recently asked to pitch fix a harmonica recording already mixed with electric piano, strings, guitar, bass and drums. Melodyne is reasonably good at isolating notes at the attack stage, but over the duration of a note it brings in pieces of other instruments. So you could hear the harmonica at the start of a note, but then sustain from the strings and piano gets mixed in.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Tangential again to the original topic, but I was just asked via email if I could remove an occasional male vocal on a commercial stereo track.

I replied, "Maybe...success not guaranteed."

I'll try Melodyne and see how much of the male vocal is visible and editable without destroying the surrounding frequencies.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

buzzsmith wrote:Tangential again to the original topic, but I was just asked via email if I could remove an occasional male vocal on a commercial stereo track.

I replied, "Maybe...success not guaranteed."

I'll try Melodyne and see how much of the male vocal is visible and editable without destroying the surrounding frequencies.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
See my post above. I had been asked to isolate the harmonica (and not remove it, just tune it and produce a solo track. It just didn't work. Unless the voice is very distinct from other voices and instruments, including overtones and sustain sounds, reverbs and echos, I doubt Melodyne can do this.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
gjamison
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by gjamison »

How about that new "multi computer setups" feature
dix

Post by dix »

gjamison wrote:How about that new "multi computer setups" feature
That slide in the video was from another demo about setting external computers - mainly with VEP. There's no new feature like that.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com