DP NAMM 2017

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP NAMM 2017

Post by Michael Canavan »

frankf wrote:David Das did the 5:15 presentation. He live demoed as new in 2017 polyphonic pitch and time features with new options including pitch shifting using a formant algorithm. Results sounded awesome to me. Release date purposely not specified nor were any other new features.
Cool! So Melodyne will become redundant. I like Melodyne but hopefully they upgrade the Time features in a way that's closer to Live than Melodynes. In any case if I can not have to pop tracks that need serious time stretching over to Ableton Live for quicker stretching and better accuracy I'm happy! 8)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
klamm

Post by klamm »

James Steele wrote: I didn't *promise* anything. Oh... and who is Steve?
Oooops... I meant James, I don't know any Steve. He might be my imaginary friend attending NAMM... (I guess...) :)
Live 9, DP 9.01, Max/Msp, Machfive 3, UVI Falcon, U-he Bazille & Diva, GRM Tools, 2C-Audio, Izotope...
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

frankf wrote:David Das did the 5:15 presentation. He live demoed as new in 2017 polyphonic pitch and time features with new options including pitch shifting using a formant algorithm. Results sounded awesome to me. Release date purposely not specified nor were any other new features.
Parity (or better!) in pitch and time shifting will remove all excuses to not use DP. Exciting news.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Awesome news. No more reliance on big fat buffered transfers in Melodyne.
I wasn't expecting this, I have to say, if for no other reason than that I assume Peter Neubäcker's polyphonic melodyne tech is patented. Another way around the mountain?
kurtl

Post by kurtl »

Might be IRCAM tech that's in Machfive 3.
DP 10.11, OSX 10.11.6, MacPro 2.8/8 10gigs RAM, 2408Mk3, 2408Mk2, 2 Fastlanes, 2-UAD2 solos, Machfive 2/3.2.1, MSI, BFD3
dix

Post by dix »

DP's pitch shifting technology already looks a lot like Melodyne's. I wonder if there's a licensing agreement.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Good pitch & time (especially polyphonic, though that need would only rarely arise) would be a strong incentive for me to make the leap from 8 to 9.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

The new features sound nice. I just wanna hear say honestly and accurately that they fixed all the stuff which we reported that 9.12 introduced.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

stubbsonic wrote:Good pitch & time (especially polyphonic, though that need would only rarely arise) would be a strong incentive for me to make the leap from 8 to 9.
I'm sure that you know that it's not available in current 9.xx versions yet, so you've got a while!

But, yes, that has always been a weakness in DP since it was DP. I have 2 apps that I use for that when needed and import back into DP.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

labman wrote:The new features sound nice. I just wanna hear say honestly and accurately that they fixed all the stuff which we reported that 9.12 introduced.
I would guess one of the reasons for the zero announcement of an actual time this year they introduce this into DP is that they have to do both, introduce this and fix the bugs.

To be fair there's a not so hidden skeleton in the closet when it comes to the 9.1 PreGen issues, third party plug ins with issues that PreGen sadly highlights. Code is a funny thing that way, they can pass plug in evaluations and still have non standard or not to VST/AU spec parts that could possibly conflict with PreGen. This was stated by MOTU, and it's fair to point out that not all of us are hit with huge bugs in 9.12. The only thing that's shocking to me about the upgrade in my setup is how jumpy the CPU meter gets when you have multiple VI's record armed/enabled etc. DP9.12 does what it says it will do besides that, as soon as tracks are all unarmed, it drops the CPU down to nothing. That's the big one though, it seems that running multiple armed tracks is more CPU consuming, probably due to the new lower latency code. For me it's no less stable than most previous versions, although 7 was rock solid here, not a single memorable crash.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

buzzsmith wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:Good pitch & time ... would be a strong incentive for me to make the leap from 8 to 9.
I'm sure that you know that it's not available in current 9.xx versions yet, so you've got a while!

But, yes, that has always been a weakness in DP since it was DP. I have 2 apps that I use for that when needed and import back into DP.

Buzzy
Thanks for clarifying that. I guess it won't matter for me if it is a 9.x update or a full 10.0 version upgrade, I think it would cost me the same. But if it works, it would cost less than the alternatives. Would love to see a nice spectral editor in the waveform edit area, but that might be asking too much.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I posted videos of the demo in a different topic. I'm on Tapatalk so PITA right now to get link. Search new posts and you'll find it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

James Steele wrote:I posted videos of the demo in a different topic. I'm on Tapatalk so PITA right now to get link. Search new posts and you'll find it.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62948

There you go
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by MikeInBoston »

Hey guys,

I don't know about anybody else, but I can't get these 2 videos to play.

Mike
waxman

Post by waxman »

Robert Randolph wrote:So what happened at the first one?
dude your new avatar is more intense then the first. I didn't think that was possible... :)
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.