Integrate this with DP now

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Integrate this with DP now

Post by waxman »

That is great news. Slate says 2nd quarter delivery... My next rig will be the 2017 macbook pro with for TB3 connectors and a couple Raven's. So the band width of TB4 is beyond the the needs of the VRS8? Hopefully Slate will deliver on time with this product. Previous products have been notoriously late. There will also be a 2 channel version.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
wonder

Post by wonder »

What about us dudes with older macs (no Thunderbolt).

Is that PCIe card for PC only?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

wonder wrote:What about us dudes with older macs (no Thunderbolt).

Is that PCIe card for PC only?
That's the question of the night.
I would say if you're going back to NAMM ask Slate about it.
Officially 09 Mac Pros aren't supported by Raven, but that's malarky.
My modified Mac Pro works just fine here with the MTi2.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Michael Canavan wrote:
buzzsmith wrote:Pretty sure based on the Slate Audiophiles Facebook group and Gearslutz thread that the PCIe card is compatible with non-Thunderbolt Macs. Just won't have the same realtime capabilities without some latency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As far as actual hardware, it shouldn't have any more latency than Thunderbolt. PCIe is 5-6G depending on Mac Pro, Thunderbolt isn't any better than the system bus, and PCIe can tap directly into the system bus. The main things I think about are if the PCIe is made using some newer tech that a 4 year old piece of hardware can't use or uses wrong etc. I'm sure there will be motherboards on the windows side hardware wise that aren't compatible etc.
The speed of the PCIe probably won't be the issue. I have an E2 SSD blade in my 2010 Mac Pro right now that easily gets me 650+ MB/s (not Mbps). I guess the real issue will be if the board they make will be fully compatible with older systems. I get the idea that the low latency thing might work in a fast older system like mine, but certainly won't be guaranteed. If that's the case, that $3k just became $10k for me :wink:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
wonder

Post by wonder »

I wonder how they'll handle headphone Cue?

Will there be a standalone app for routing?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

wonder wrote:I wonder how they'll handle headphone Cue?

Will there be a standalone app for routing?
It's my understanding that this is just, basically, a pre-amp so however you're currently handling headphones should be the same.

I think...:)

Buzzy

Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I'm having a hard time seeing why this is better than my MOTU 896mk3.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
dix

Post by dix »

^ latency as low as .7ms at 96k would be one thing. Another is that MOTU's converters never thrill anyone, but lets see how both these things shake out in the real world.

As I've posted elsewhere, for me the biggest thing about the VRS-8 is that that it's the first future-proof I/O that I'm aware of for cMP users. Meaning I could buy it today and use with my Tower MP and and also with a future MP without PCIe slots.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dix

Post by dix »

One reservation I have about the VRS-8 is that it's line-out only. I don't get that. This may be a dumb question, but isn't line-out considered to be a consumer standard? What am I missing? Isn't a balanced output a basic pro standard?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I don't have any latency problems at 96K (24-bit 96khz is my standard set-up). As for future-proof... uh, ok. My standard operating procedure is to wait until the future comes calling.

I love the Slate plugins, but the company's "oh, my god, we've just shifted all the paradigms again!" routine is wearing thin. This isn't the future. It's an audio interface.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
buzzsmith

Integrate this with DP now

Post by buzzsmith »

dix wrote:One reservation I have about the VRS-8 is that it's line-out only. I don't get that. This may be a dumb question, but isn't line-out considered to be a consumer standard? What am I missing? Isn't a balanced output a basic pro standard?
I'm not sure about other MOTU interfaces, but my 24I/O is line in and line out only as are my other 2 legacy 2408s.

So, I think that I'm OK with that.

BTW, here's the back of the VRS-8 in case some haven't seen...

Buzzy

Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

dix

Post by dix »

Gravity Jim wrote:I don't have any latency problems at 96K (24-bit 96khz is my standard set-up).
Because of DP's Direct Hardware Playthrough I'm guessing? (a feature not available on MOTUs AVB I/Os btw). Unless I'm misunderstanding something, with latency this low we could monitor through DP's fx w/o DHP.
As for future-proof... uh, ok. My standard operating procedure is to wait until the future comes calling.
Now you don't have to! The cost of moving away from a cMP all at once is huge. I could buy this now and buy a cylinder down the road when I can afford it.
I love the Slate plugins, but the company's "oh, my god, we've just shifted all the paradigms again!" routine is wearing thin. This isn't the future. It's an audio interface.
Agreed. They totally back it up with consistently great products, but the bro-centric, hyperbolic marketing aesthetic is off-putting.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Just now posted on Facebook by Mr. Slate...

Steven Slate: Yup on older Macs!
Unlike · Reply · 1 · 3 mins

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

What I took from the video is that this gives better than 1 msec latency. And the reason it's better than the UAD units is that it will let you instantiate a large number of effects. Is that right? Or is that <1 msec only with no effects?

If the promise was to get close to the experience of a very expensive analog setup, it looks like it does that. But the only time latency is an issue for me, even with USB interfaces, is with some VIs, and it doesn't address that.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
waxman

Post by waxman »

Yes latency, Yes pres, Yes i/o... but the big factor is it's an ecosystem... the pre's are tuned to use with the mics and plugins. I am using the VMS system and it sounded better then my $10k Blue Bottle system so I put it on ebay. I have found myself using UAD plugs less and less just because the gui and use of Slate plugs are better and certainly sound as good. Now Slate added a software mixer.

This is about having a system with mics that cost $150 bucks but perform like mega buck mics. It's about using an integrated system by the same company. It's one of the reasons we use Apple software and hardware by the same company.

So game changing? Well $14 bucks a month for all your plugins is certainly different. 8 channel pre and 6 mics for $3k? Three more mics for $450. That's certainly different.

The cult of personality is a cool thing. Make America Slate Again... lol
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.