Integrate this with DP now

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Integrate this with DP now

Post by philbrown »

buzzsmith wrote:Don't know if this helps, but I have the VMS and track with it but without any of the models. IOW, just like a normal mic through the VMS pre.

After the fact, then I can experiment with the different sims, pres, EQs, etc.
Ditto what Buzz said. I actualy like the clarity of it for tracking (my own) vocals.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

bayswater wrote:
Killahurts wrote: all the specs he talked about in that video were based on 96k. Substantially less latency per buffer settings, the higher sample rate you go, at least for conversions.. I forgot the formula (maybe it's simple math) but if you work in 44.1/48 you're going to have more, even with the Slate system.. I think all serious latency reduction for live tracking/monitoring is going to have to be approached working with the higher sample rates. Guess I need to start saving for a new computer. :wink:
Right, at 96K, latency is half what it is a 48K because it is measured in samples. But a new computer? My old coal powered iMac can do 192K. If you go much higher than that, you've got a little AM radio station.
Ha, that's true! :lol:

No, I would need a new computer to take advantage of this technology, because I would need Thunderbolt I/O. The word is still out as to whether or not the PCIe card Slate will offer will have that kind of performance in an old machine like mine. Also, in some of the work I do, I have really large templates with many dozens of VIs and audio tracks. I would need to get a new 12-core Mac Pro with as much RAM/Flash memory as I could either put, or afford. And then, some sort of TB or USB3 drive solution for all my sample libs, video, audio.. so what are we up to now? I don't want to get a Macbook Pro, I just can't see the damn thing.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Killahurts wrote:The word is still out as to whether or not the PCIe card Slate will offer will have that kind of performance in an old machine like mine
Of course, I have the same limitation. It looks like the PCI card does work properly with PCs. If I was going for an all new system, I'd think about that -- not so sure about Macs in the long run any more. I got a windows licence for the price of a tank of gas in a small car, and started figuring out bootcamp.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8