Integrate this with DP now

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Integrate this with DP now

Post by waxman »

For anyone that has been listening to me beat the drum about Slate, mobile, virtual and more this should remove the doubt. Start reconfiguring now. We are now in as significant a change as what adat did to the cost of making a record... This eco system with DP and you have an 8 channel system for $2999. I have been using Slate eco system as is for a year. I just sold a quad satellite. I am putting up the OCTO today. I will using the Apollo 16 and Twin until Slate ships this system. With all my plugs and the Octo it will come close to paying for the system. Selling the Apollo 16 and the ISA 8 channel pres and I will have money in the bank... No BRAINER... I have been through this before. By the closest of margins I sold my Trident Console and Otari 24 track just 6 months before ADAT. I got $45k for the package. Within 2 year I could not get $15k. This will have the same impact. Slate is first but the other companies will come in quickly. However Chinese and Japanese companies may have some tariff's. UAD, MOTU, SLATE, PRESONUS and other USA companies will not be as hard hit. Ok here we go again...

DP is still DAW King...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcCjfEj ... el=SlateTV
Last edited by waxman on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
buzzsmith

Re: Integrate this

Post by buzzsmith »

I watch this and realize how much I DON'T know!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

waxman

Re: Integrate this

Post by waxman »

buzzsmith wrote:I watch this and realize how much I DON'T know!

Buzzy

hey Buzz... just PM'd you
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Integrate this with DP now

Post by terrybritton »

Took in the entire video, and am totally -- not-virtually -- FLOORED!!!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

My only minor gripe is that the band should have done the same arrangement both times for the comparison demo rather than change the style to be more aggressive for the second run through.

I could hear the sonic differences in spite of that, but the comparison would have been more equal. IMHO...

Buzzy

Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

One very cool thing is the PCI breakout cable and card... should make this system good for both nMP and cMPs. The very low latency is very cool.

I was skimming the video a bit; did I miss discussion of using multiple units simultaneously to get 16 inputs? Also may have missed a mention of compliment of outputs.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

HCMarkus wrote:One very cool thing is the PCI breakout cable and card... should make this system good for both nMP and cMPs. The very low latency is very cool.

I was skimming the video a bit; did I miss discussion of using multiple units simultaneously to get 16 inputs? Also may have missed a mention of compliment of outputs.
Agreed!

Daisy chaining via its Thunderbolt connections (I imagine one to another) lets you add more inputs. I suppose this all sums to a single HDMI connector for the PCIe card?

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I suppose this all sums to a single HDMI connector for the PCIe card?
This MAY be possible, but research suggests unlikely.
More likely: two PCIe cards
wonder

Post by wonder »

FWIW

I just left NAMM day 1. I got in early to avoid the rush.

I went right to Slate and saw this rack piece. The 8 channel virtual doohickey.

Looks cool.

But I wanted to hear the VMS. I put on the headphones and the tech walked me through on a Raven. Raven was real cool.

I couldn't wrap my mind around this...the mic, even dry with no processing nor plugs enabled, sounded metallic and robotic. I'm not talking about time but rather latency or something. It sounded as if there was JUST enough latency to almost sound out of phase or something. I couldn't believe it.

I first thought it was latency due to the Chanel running through the VMS plug. But I disabled ALL plugs.

It was in PT12 and they don't offer direct hardware play through. So maybe that was it?

It sounded so weird that if I were a singer, there's no way I'd be able to track vocals listening to that sound.

What's the deal? Anyone else have this issue?

I was VERY VERY disappointed.

The raven though was pretty cool.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Don't know if this helps, but I have the VMS and track with it but without any of the models. IOW, just like a normal mic through the VMS pre.

After the fact, then I can experiment with the different sims, pres, EQs, etc.

On my system, I had issues while experimenting with real time tracking with the simulations.

But, I found the mic clean and clear.

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

The package deal is absolutely phenomenal. What pro wouldn't want this for 3k?

I wonder though, if the PCIe card would work in a Mac Pro with no Thunderbolt? I would love to get this package, but I don't want to purchase a new computer yet. He only mentioned the PCI card for Windows machines.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Pretty sure based on the Slate Audiophiles Facebook group and Gearslutz thread that the PCIe card is compatible with non-Thunderbolt Macs. Just won't have the same realtime capabilities without some latency.

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

buzzsmith wrote:Pretty sure based on the Slate Audiophiles Facebook group and Gearslutz thread that the PCIe card is compatible with non-Thunderbolt Macs. Just won't have the same realtime capabilities without some latency.

As far as actual hardware, it shouldn't have any more latency than Thunderbolt. PCIe is 5-6G depending on Mac Pro, Thunderbolt isn't any better than the system bus, and PCIe can tap directly into the system bus. The main things I think about are if the PCIe is made using some newer tech that a 4 year old piece of hardware can't use or uses wrong etc. I'm sure there will be motherboards on the windows side hardware wise that aren't compatible etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
waxman

Post by waxman »

I'm still trying to find out if it will work with Thunderbolt 3 ie USB C. He said in the video USB has issued with latency. But Tbolt 3 is so much faster then Tbolt 2. Mike got any idea on this one?
waxman
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

waxman wrote:I'm still trying to find out if it will work with Thunderbolt 3 ie USB C. He said in the video USB has issued with latency. But Tbolt 3 is so much faster then Tbolt 2. Mike got any idea on this one?
Waxman, TB3 and USB3 are two different things, but both can use the same physical connector.
Michael Canavan wrote:
buzzsmith wrote:Pretty sure based on the Slate Audiophiles Facebook group and Gearslutz thread that the PCIe card is compatible with non-Thunderbolt Macs. Just won't have the same realtime capabilities without some latency.

As far as actual hardware, it shouldn't have any more latency than Thunderbolt. PCIe is 5-6G depending on Mac Pro, Thunderbolt isn't any better than the system bus, and PCIe can tap directly into the system bus. The main things I think about are if the PCIe is made using some newer tech that a 4 year old piece of hardware can't use or uses wrong etc. I'm sure there will be motherboards on the windows side hardware wise that aren't compatible etc.
You a right Mike. PCIe > TB. TB is essentially PCIe + Display Port on a cable, and with cables come challenges. TB3 is finally catching up, but audio interfaces don't need TB3 bandwidth, so should be backward compatible with the right adaptor cable.