Direct Hardware Playthrough

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bleach30
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Direct Hardware Playthrough

Post by bleach30 »

Ok so I have an Ultrlite AVB..I'm still getting use to AVB routing browser thingy and I am slowly understanding it but I am getting latency in headphones with record enabled tracks.

This was usually a case (for me anyway) of "Monitor record-enabled tracks through effects" box being selected. So I went to the "Input Monitoring Mode" and in fact that box is selected, however, the one I want to select ,"Direct hardware play through" is greyed out and not selectable.

Is this no longer applicable? If so how do I get the no latency monitoring as I had with my 896mk3?

I'm in DP9.12
csavetman

Re: Direct Hardware Playthrough

Post by csavetman »

Direct hardware play through is not supported with AVB interfaces. Monitoring through the AVB mixer is how MOTU suggests it be done. There's a thread on here somewhere about this.
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

hmmm.alrighty thanks. I'll look around for that.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Yes, Direct Hardware Playthrough is dead. Very unfortunate.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Get a used 'direct hardware capable' box i.e.896mk3hybrid until Motu reinvents it :mrgreen:

Klaus
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

EMRR wrote:Yes, Direct Hardware Playthrough is dead. Very unfortunate.
Not for me! :) I guess that's a good reason to hang on to my PCIe interfaces a bit longer. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dix

Post by dix »

EMRR wrote:Yes, Direct Hardware Playthrough is dead. Very unfortunate.
I'll say. With so many great I/Os out there now Direct Hardware Playthrough may be the only thing that would prevent me from going with a non MOTU i/o when I, eventually, move away from a PCIe rig.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

Well that's a bummer. I thought I had it figured out by monitoring through the internal mixer..but that has no affect. OK then i guess the only way to have low latency is low buffer setting now unless I'm missing something...please tell me I'm missing something.....please

Thanks guys
Saintmatthew

Post by Saintmatthew »

bleach30 wrote:Well that's a bummer. I thought I had it figured out by monitoring through the internal mixer..but that has no affect. OK then i guess the only way to have low latency is low buffer setting now unless I'm missing something...please tell me I'm missing something.....please

Thanks guys
You'll have to monitor through the mixer, and have the record enabled track routed to a "dummy" audio output, one that is connected to an output that isn't being used. That way, you can monitor through the mixer but the slightly delayed signal you get from the record enabled track is messing you up by doubling the signal and blurring it.
MacPro 12core 64GB Ram 4 1TB SSDs motu 828mk3 DP 10.11
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

Saintmatthew wrote:
bleach30 wrote:Well that's a bummer. I thought I had it figured out by monitoring through the internal mixer..but that has no affect. OK then i guess the only way to have low latency is low buffer setting now unless I'm missing something...please tell me I'm missing something.....please

Thanks guys
You'll have to monitor through the mixer, and have the record enabled track routed to a "dummy" audio output, one that is connected to an output that isn't being used. That way, you can monitor through the mixer but the slightly delayed signal you get from the record enabled track is messing you up by doubling the signal and blurring it.
You can just open up the input monitoring dialog box in DP and set it to off, to automatically mute record enabled tracks through DP if monitoring outside the program (through the AVB mixer for example)

Carlos
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

[You can just open up the input monitoring dialog box in DP and set it to off, to automatically mute record enabled tracks through DP if monitoring outside the program (through the AVB mixer for example)]

Yes that works too. I had tried that early on but I had things routed all weird when I was trying to figure this out.
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

Ok all working now. This avb routing thing is not very intuitive , at least for me. Thank you for you tips
Saintmatthew and csavetman!
dix

Post by dix »

Slate just announced an ultra low latency i/o. TB for Macs PCIe for PCs. If they could make the PCIe work with MacPro towers it would be a good "transitional" i/o for people with old MacPros that want/have to eventually move to a TB system. I don't think there's anything else out there that's PCIe and TB.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I could be wrong, dix, but in the Slate Audiophiles Facebook group, Steven mentioned that the PCIe is compatible with older MacPros. I posted a question there as a followup since I'm early 2009 with mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

dix

Post by dix »

That would make sense. The Slate video only mentioned PCs being compatible with the PCIe card, but I bet there's just as large a market for old MPs. Fingers crossed.