Is it possible to use VEP with an ethernet adaptor?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
pacificm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Is it possible to use VEP with an ethernet adaptor?

Post by pacificm »

For those of you using Vienna Ensemble Pro (VEP), you may have experienced both the joy and frustration of this incredible software. Turning multiple computers into servers hosting multiple VIs can be great. Setting up this new configuration can be a challenge. This thread is regarding the use of VEP with Digital Performer 9.1. I hope this is the best location for this thread. If not, please advise what would be a better location. I'm currently using VEP 6 with two iMacs. Each has one VEP server. That leaves me with one more available VEP 6 license which I'm not using yet.

I have a ten year old MacBook Pro (MBP) that needed updating. So, I just purchased a new MBP. I thought if i got a USB-C-Ethernet adaptor, I could possibly put the third server on it. I loaded the VEP server on the MBP. I've tried running all three computer ethernets through an ethernet hub. The iMac VEP servers are showing up fine in the DAW, however, the MBP VEP server is not being recognized. I'm using an Xcellon USB-C-Ethernet adaptor, one of the few available at the moment.

I contacted Apple. This seems to be out of their realm. They were not able to help.

So, do I bite the bullet, break the bank and go for a Mac Pro to house a VEP server or is there some other option with the MBP I'm still not considering to get it to work as a VEP server? Is it possible to use VEP with an ethernet adaptor?

Any suggestions?

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!
1) iMac (2020, 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel i7) OS X 10.15.7, 72 GB RAM
2) iMac Quad Core (Late 2015, 4GHz Intel Core i7) OS X 10.15.7, 32 GB RAM,
3) Mac Pro (Late 2013, 6.5 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon E5) OS X 10.15.7, 64 GB RAM

Software: DP 10.13, FCPX, VSL Chamber Strings, Vienna Suite, Ensemble Pro 5, MIR Pro | Ivory | Stylus RMX, Trillian, Omnisphere 2 | Samplemodeling Trumpet, Flutes & Saxes | EZ Drummer 2 | BFD3 | East West | MOTU UltraLite Mk3
mikehalloran

Re: Is it possible to use VEP with an ethernet adaptor?

Post by mikehalloran »

What are you using for Time Machine?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
pacificm

Post by pacificm »

I'm using a G-Technology drive for my VEP master time machine.

Software: DP 10.13, FCPX, VSL Chamber Strings, Vienna Suite, Ensemble Pro 5, MIR Pro | Ivory | Stylus RMX, Trillian, Omnisphere 2 | Samplemodeling Trumpet, Flutes & Saxes | EZ Drummer 2 | BFD3 | East West | MOTU UltraLite Mk3
OLB

Post by OLB »

Not sure if it's very helpful but you can make a network over thunderbolt. If you have ports left. I've tried it and it's extremely fast. Check in network - thunderbolt bridge.
- Len
DAW Mac Pro 6-core 2013 | 64Gb RAM | 10.11.6 | Metric Halo ULN-8
DP 9.5 | VE Pro 6 | Kontakt 5
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If you are unable to make your current setup work, consider a used Mac Pro 4,1 or 5,1 and avoid breaking the bank. Or go PC for the second VEPro server and run DP from an iMac.
pacificm

Post by pacificm »

It appears I found the culprit. A very helpful Apple tech helped me set up my Network settings - IP address & Subnet Mask. Unless I missed something, this important step is not clearly covered in the VEP Quick Start guide. Once it was set up properly, the MBP VEP server was showing up in my DAW. Thanks to all on this site with offers of help!