RAID for Sessions/VI Library

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

RAID for Sessions/VI Library

Post by wonder »

I purchased a PCIe RAID enclosure and am going to set it up with some spare SATA drives I have lying around.

My question is, do the drives need to be exact same size? I have a few 1TB, a 2TB, and a few older 250GBs lying around.

And setting up a RAID 0 config is the way to go for speed as for as I know...is that correct?

Thanks!
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
mikehalloran

Re: RAID for Sessions/VI Library

Post by mikehalloran »

RAID 0 gives the best performance. The downside is that, when one drive goes down, you've lost everything. Since you should have your VIs backed up elsewhere (most are downloadable again from the makers and some come on hardware), this works well for VIs. Most of us will exclude it from a Time Machine backup as there's really no need.

You do not want to store work files of any kind onto a RAID 0 array.

http://www.techworld.com/storage/a-simp ... d-3220717/

Overall speed will be limited by the number of drives (more is faster) with HHD arrays being inherently slower than SSDs. There is an upper maximum speed limit determined by your pipeline or PCIe bus. On a Mac Pro 3.1, two SSDs might hit the speed limit but it might take four or more HHDs.

Yes, capacity is A+B+C etc. You do not want to go over 80% as that can compromise efficiency.

If using SSDs, TRIM often doesn't work on remote RAID arrays. Since you will write only on installation and updates, this isn't really much on an issue.

The advantage to HHDs is lower cost. The downside is higher heat and energy costs.

If looking to use HHDs, WD Red rated for NAS would be my recommendation. These have better bearings, lower heat/energy cost, 3 year warranty and longer life. NAS is used to build RAID arrays.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I was given an old PC RAID array. It's in a PC tower type case and contains 7 1TB drives. I have a RocketRAID 2722 card in my Mac. I've been using it for projects and and also my VI/sample library, although I'm beginning to think that a much better route for me would be to go to SSD for my projects and for my VI's and then just make the array a dedicated Backup system using TimeMachine I suppose and then set it up with the level that is redundant wherein if a drive fails in the array, I just pull it and replace it and the data is automatically rebuilt by the array.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
wonder

Post by wonder »

I purchased an enclosure on Amazon and in my haste, I bought the 2 bay enclosure and no the 4 bay enclosure.

But, c'est la vie.

I finally got it setup but had a 2TB and 1TB drives lying around so my RAID 0 isn't full capacity. I haven't put anything on the drives as of now but once I get a matching 2TB drive, I'll either use it to edit video or store my VI's on them.

They're standard HDD connected via eSATA enclosure. I have a Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) and am debating on whether to invest in another Mac Pro or somehow Hot Rod this Mac Pro.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

You DO have at least one SSD Wonder... correct?

'Cause if you haven't tried one yet, you are missing out on the single most inspiring upgrade currently available for you Mac. For me, it's all SSDs (except for backups).

I like James idea for the array. Which reminds me; time to rotate my Time Machine drives.
wonder

Post by wonder »

Oh yes. My OS drive is an SSD. Changed my world.

My VI's, Session Drives, et al are all internal SATA drives though.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

A word on Apple's RAID driver. It's old and it's single threaded. SoftRAID is multithreaded and has some great features. It's an improvement over Apple's RAID driver, except for one thing.

As of v5.5 on 10.11.6 SoftRAID was crashing my Mac Pro on shut down. I finally had to remove it. I'll check it again later.

SoftRAID seems to have gotten serious about their product again lately. Hopefully any current issue will be resolved soon.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE