Strategies for virtual rack instruments

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
muxlow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Strategies for virtual rack instruments

Post by muxlow »

Here's how I work on a set of songs:
  • All songs in the same Session

Each song is a separate Sequence

Tracks are routed through Virtual Racks for "processing" – ex: Drums, Guitars, etc. This way, the Kick Drum (for ex.) from every Sequence get the same treatment, etc.

Virtual Racks route audio back to the submix aux tracks in the Sequence (SBMX Drums, SBMX Guitar, etc.) where I can print stems, bounce, etc.
This has worked great for years, but I recently hit a new thing: a V-Rack of synths

When I went to bounce the synths out for the mix engineer, I realized I knew of no easy way to print them as separate tracks. I got the job done, but it wasn't elegant.

Any strategies for this?

Thanks!
Last edited by muxlow on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1 Mac mini
16gb RAM
macOS before Sonoma
DP 11
MOTU 24Ao
ART TubeOpto8
Ramsa WR-S4424 mixer
stubbsonic

Re: Strategies for virtual rack instruments

Post by stubbsonic »

When you are setting things up, you can set the outputs of your VI's, each to their own bus pair. Then in your first sequence, you can set up all your destination tracks for each VI with the matching bus assigned as the input. Set the output to your main stereo outs and you can monitor the VI's through those tracks as well. That process might not work for your workflow, but perhaps it will.

Then when you start a new song, you can duplicate the track layout (via Chunks mini-menu), and start the next tune without having to do all that groundwork.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

stubbsonic wrote:When you are setting things up, you can set the outputs of your VI's, each to their own bus pair. Then in your first sequence, you can set up all your destination tracks for each VI with the matching bus assigned as the input. Set the output to your main stereo outs and you can monitor the VI's through those tracks as well. That process might not work for your workflow, but perhaps it will.

Then when you start a new song, you can duplicate the track layout (via Chunks mini-menu), and start the next tune without having to do all that groundwork.
I do something similar to this. For me, at least, this process works great! The significant difference being that I house all of my instruments in VSL's VEPro 6. The "connection" between DP 9 and VEPro 6 is via my simple set-up in the V-Rack. Everything else is configured in the sequence including panning, effects, effect levels, etc. Duplicating what I call the "Master Sequence" helps ensure continuity of sound. I record the final take via the main stereo outs, simply changing the name of the "Main Outs" to the name of the composition that I'm recording.

There are a number of different ways to get things done using DP9. It's why I enjoying using this program.
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.4.1; 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
muxlow

Post by muxlow »

stubbsonic wrote:When you are setting things up, you can set the outputs of your VI's, each to their own bus pair. Then in your first sequence, you can set up all your destination tracks for each VI with the matching bus assigned as the input. Set the output to your main stereo outs and you can monitor the VI's through those tracks as well. That process might not work for your workflow, but perhaps it will.
That's where I was headed. Thanks for confirming!
stubbsonic wrote:Then when you start a new song, you can duplicate the track layout (via Chunks mini-menu), and start the next tune without having to do
Duplicate Track Layout is a godsend.

Thanks, guys!
M1 Mac mini
16gb RAM
macOS before Sonoma
DP 11
MOTU 24Ao
ART TubeOpto8
Ramsa WR-S4424 mixer