Remote Machine Control for DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Remote Machine Control for DP

Post by waxman »

Anybody doing remote machine control with DP using ipad or iphone? Can you do random access?

Again... I tried to find a solution to remote machine control for DP. I had heard DP Control was broken but I did get DP Control working. If I have markers already in place it's ok but no random access and it locks up often. Adding a marker freezes it. Tried my V-Control 1.9 version but it's flakey and again there is no random access. They have a new version but it just does more of the same. All I did was succeed in screwing up my fader levels with V-Control Pro. It's too much stuff packed into a iPad. It really does everything... kinda... But you need the smallest fingers known to man.

Then I pulled out the blue tooth keypad calculator and it seems the best solution at this point. I have forever used the keypad to for machine control. Even when I had the Mackie MCU's. I use the Raven batch command rack but no random like the keypad.

If anybody has another solution I would love to hear it.

Did not work

Did not work

Worked
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Remote Machine Control for DP

Post by terrybritton »

What do you mean by 'random access' exactly?

And have you given the basic TouchOSC layouts a look? I did a short test with the "Simple" layout via some MIDI Learn functions, but did not go very far with it in DP. Still, I learned a lot - here is an article with screen-grabs from my Android, though the IOS version works the same. I wrote it for Cantabile 3 users originally.

All the controller CC values and ranges are listed for the layouts I featured in the article.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
waxman

Post by waxman »

terrybritton wrote:What do you mean by 'random access' exactly?

And have you given the basic TouchOSC layouts a look? I did a short test with the "Simple" layout via some MIDI Learn functions, but did not go very far with it in DP. Still, I learned a lot - here is an article with screen-grabs from my Android, though the IOS version works the same. I wrote it for Cantabile 3 users originally.

All the controller CC values and ranges are listed for the layouts I featured in the article.

Terry
Thanks Terry I will check it out... By random access I mean use keypad to access bar/beat/tick. As you know when using the keypad hit the keypad decimal key and you get the counter bar#, type the bar#, hit decimal and it advances to the beat, type beat#, type the decimal and enter tick#.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Since the commands in DP allow duplicate triggers, you could use the TouchOSC adding note or CC# input to those same commands now triggered by the keypad, I would guess.

I really need to take this deeper myself -- I went and collected all that data for the article, then something came up and I never implemented it as much as I had intended to! Time seems to just hate me. I get nothing done! :cry:

(It's ok - I took a minute, and I'm much better now.)

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

waxman

Post by waxman »

Checked it out... looks intriguing to program your own interface. play, stop, record and a wiper would be cool. That said it's not something I have time for. If I go in the booth the DP Control will work for a few minutes but it would be awesome to have machine control with a wiper.

The $29 blue tooth Calc is working great. I velcro'd it to the MIDI controller and it works fine. I just have to pull the counter over to the left side screen.

If any programmers are listening... machine control with a wiper would be awesome.
waxman
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

By "with a wiper" do you mean a scrub wiper? That would be awesome, no doubt about that!

Although I did take a look at the TouchOSC Editor briefly and programmed a couple buttons and sliders, I did not delve that deeply into it. That thing clearly can go far beyond what the TouchOSC Editor is capable of - I also have Harrison's Mixbus, and they programmed up a very concise and detailed controller they offer as a free download (Mixbus TTC-1). Much better graphics than I see possible using the generic editor. Here is the announcement video from last year:

If I get into using TouchOSC, at first it will be the "Simple" or the "Keys" layouts to exploit those somehow. The Harrison one has some buttons for +.5/-.5 forward/backward, which is almost a scrub wiper. Is there a command in there for such a thing in DP? Never checked! That would be worth the effort of using the editor if just for that!

Now I WANT one of those bluetooth calc-pads!

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

waxman

Post by waxman »

terrybritton wrote:By "with a wiper" do you mean a scrub wiper? That would be awesome, no doubt about that!

Although I did take a look at the TouchOSC Editor briefly and programmed a couple buttons and sliders, I did not delve that deeply into it. That thing clearly can go far beyond what the TouchOSC Editor is capable of - I also have Harrison's Mixbus, and they programmed up a very concise and detailed controller they offer as a free download (Mixbus TTC-1). Much better graphics than I see possible using the generic editor. Here is the announcement video from last year:

If I get into using TouchOSC, at first it will be the "Simple" or the "Keys" layouts to exploit those somehow. The Harrison one has some buttons for +.5/-.5 forward/backward, which is almost a scrub wiper. Is there a command in there for such a thing in DP? Never checked! That would be worth the effort of using the editor if just for that!

Now I WANT one of those bluetooth calc-pads!

Terry
Thanks Terry, Yeah I am thinking on an iphone Scrub wiper, start stop record, track select. Maybe memory start stop. The 4 bar button on the Harrison was cool. Maybe a 4 bar 1 bar button to set memory points.

The video of the ipad looks like it would work for my needs. Anybody using this? I'm going to look into touch osc... Hopefully preprogramed templates are available.
waxman
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

The TouchOSC Editor comes with several templates (called "layouts") already. There are many layouts I did not show in the article available to customize. You can load them into the editor and alter the default assignments to your liking and do a save-as with a new name, or simply do a ton of "MIDI Learn" stuff with the settings I listed in that article. The editor is a little fiddly, but it does work, and sending your layouts to the tablet or phone is a snap. You may have me revisiting it now!

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Well, I always thought this thing was cool, but am holding out for the price to drop!

https://www.amazon.com/Griffin-PowerMat ... ref=sr_1_2

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

waxman

Post by waxman »

I'll be using this when I switch to MacBook Pro
waxman
waxman

Post by waxman »

Since switching to Sierra just for kicks I hold option and space bar and tell Siri to open V-Control, DP then Raven MTi 2. It's cool but won't do much. Someday the commands we do in DP may be on Siri. That would be very cool. ala "Siri Open Project Notes" "Siri show tracks" "Siri select bar 8 through 11 on track 3 change bite level to plus 3." hahaha
waxman
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

waxman wrote:Since switching to Sierra just for kicks I hold option and space bar and tell Siri to open V-Control, DP then Raven MTi 2. It's cool but won't do much. Someday the commands we do in DP may be on Siri. That would be very cool. ala "Siri Open Project Notes" "Siri show tracks" "Siri select bar 8 through 11 on track 3 change bite level to plus 3." hahaha
No kidding!!! Now we're talking.
What a riot that would be!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
bralston

Post by bralston »

http://www.metasystem.io rocks. No faders yet but coming soon.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13