Is there a way to start playback within a Memory start/end

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
vudoo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Is there a way to start playback within a Memory start/end

Post by vudoo »

I want to be able to click anywhere within a memory start/end section to start playback. Is this possible without having to go up to the ruler bar ? Thx
Last edited by vudoo on Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is there a way to start playback within a Memory start/e

Post by bayswater »

I assume you mean "without having to go up"... Have a look at the Edit Counter command. You can enter a location, then press space bar to start playback at that point. You might have to change the state of the four memory toggle button in the transport bar to get this to work the way you want. There are also a variety of key commands to move the transport back and forth by various amounts that might be good enough for what you want to do, but Edit Counter is the one that give a precise location.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

If you choose "Link Playback to Memory" and "Link Selection to memory" (just under the rewind and stop buttons, respectively), you can highlight a selection on any track and DP will play only that.

Two other things to try:

You can also try placing a marker and using the Go To Marker command.

Or the command "Play from Memory Start", by default Option-Command-Spacebar, I believe.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
fdco

Post by fdco »

Position your cursor or make a selection with the cross tool and try the " Set Memory And Play Selection" which I think is Control - Space.
Mac Book Pro M1 32gb -2TB,
Apogee Symphony Thunderbridge,
DP11, MTPAV, Linnstrument, Chapman Stick
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

fdco wrote:Position your cursor or make a selection with the cross tool and try the " Set Memory And Play Selection" which I think is Control - Space.
This won't work because you loose your loop points
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

mesayre wrote:If you choose "Link Playback to Memory" and "Link Selection to memory" (just under the rewind and stop buttons, respectively), you can highlight a selection on any track and DP will play only that.
Not really what i was looking for...

Here's an example of how i work...i set a loop point from bar one to bar five and start editing, let say i edit something at bar 2 and want to hear it right away (instead of waiting for it to loop around), i simply click anywhere before the edit point and the playhead will immediately jump to that spot without stopping. All this while keeping my original loop point intact.
Your markers suggestion won't really work because i'll have to place markers all over the place as my playback spot changes all the time depending on the edits.

I love editing this way, it's super quick and i always get to hear the changes i made in context as playback never stops. Sure i can always edit - stop playback -place cursor (playhead) - then hit play again to hear the result, but when you're editing all day long those extra keyboard strokes make a huge difference, yes call me lazy :)
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

bayswater wrote:I assume you mean "without having to go up"... Have a look at the Edit Counter command. You can enter a location, then press space bar to start playback at that point. You might have to change the state of the four memory toggle button in the transport bar to get this to work the way you want. There are also a variety of key commands to move the transport back and forth by various amounts that might be good enough for what you want to do, but Edit Counter is the one that give a precise location.
I'll look this up as it might work as long as i have the possibility of ONLY enter bar or beat or frames if i'm doing post...
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

Btw, Thanks for all the suggestions :)
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

If you highlight the tracks you want to play and hit Option Spacebar just the music that is highlighted will play!
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

rickorick wrote:If you highlight the tracks you want to play and hit Option Spacebar just the music that is highlighted will play!

For this to work, you must be stopped (meaning no playback) so it won't work in my case as i'm in continuous loop play back while editing!
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I have my Numeric key 4 set to "Jump to previous measure" and + set to "Jump to next measure (I think that's what the wording is, I'm not at my studio computer). If you're in the middle of a measure one tap will take you to the beginning of that measure and 2 quick taps will back up another measure etc. It's very fast and I use it constantly in my editing. But I'll take a wild guess that that won't work for you.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

Look in the Commands Window for "Play From Selection Start" and add a shortcut for that..I'm using
"X"

Now wherever you put your curser (the insert line) and hit "X" playback will start from there and you don't have to be stopped for this to work ether. It doesnt matter where the playback head is or if you have memory enabled or not.
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

bleach30 wrote:Look in the Commands Window for "Play From Selection Start" and add a shortcut for that..I'm using
"X"

Now wherever you put your curser (the insert line) and hit "X" playback will start from there and you don't have to be stopped for this to work ether. It doesnt matter where the playback head is or if you have memory enabled or not.
Great tip...thx

On a side not, i can get the ''insert line'' when on an audio track using the crosshair (when one is at the lower part of the track), but the does not work on a MIDI track...what i do is hold momentarily the I-Beam tool and click. Is there a quicker/better way ? Thanks
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

[Great tip...thx

On a side not, i can get the ''insert line'' when on an audio track using the crosshair (when one is at the lower part of the track), but the does not work on a MIDI track...what i do is hold momentarily the I-Beam tool and click. Is there a quicker/better way ? Thanks]

You're welcome.

Yeah there's a couple of ways to do it and both of these work with the short cut I mentioned.

1. In the MIDI window, hovering your cursor at the top over the bar/measures gives you the I Beam tool
then clicking there will give you the Insert line.

2. Select a MIDI note and then playback will start from that selection.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

These ideas/tips are definitely worthy of being included in the "Digital Performer Tips Sheet" thread! :-)

Qualified as an Evernote save for me already!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools