Is there a way to start playback within a Memory start/end

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Maxxy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is there a way to start playback within a Memory start/e

Post by Maxxy »

OMG awesome tip bleach30!

whole-heartedly agree this should go into the Tips Sheet

20 years on DP and only now I discover this....I'm not sure if I should be thrilled to finally discover it or miffed that such important or fundamental techniques aren't more clearly explained somewhere....

Right now I'll stick with thrilled! ( :

Clearly though only bleach30 really nailed the answer to this ... IOW this technique would appear to be a mystery to many or most of us.....when really all deep users of DP should have this technique at their disposal I think. Another hidden gem inside DP... but why so unknown?
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.3, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards, Softube Console 1 MkII & Fader Control
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

Hey thanks Maxy!

There are tons of hidden away things in the Commands window. There are some things in there that I don't even know what they do or mean and I don't think there is a comprehensive list and explanation of whats in there. That would be nice.
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

Yes the Commands window is full of interesting stuff... and I have looked through it over the years and learned a lot of great functionality

I think though that with this particular command it was the terminology which obfuscated its real power to me. "Play From Selection Start" suggests to me that you need to make a selection to start playback from... when you have, I think quite brilliantly, shown that an I-beam insertion creates a 'selection' from which you can immediately start playback. Perhaps it's a fine leap of understanding that you got through to work out that it could be used in this way... but it certainly was not apparent to me.

I've sat beside guys using PT and admired the instant playback from a click point anywhere in a soundbite... or clip is it?... and was happy to discover here the way to set up something similar using "Link Playback to Memory" together with "Link Selection to Memory" ... which I have on a single button of my Kensington Expert Mouse

But yours is better than that for me....so I'm stoked to have found it

Nice one bleach30 ... many thanks
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.3, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards, Softube Console 1 MkII & Fader Control
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello,
I use command-4 after clicking with the cross hairs
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness