Set to selection bounds shortcut

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Set to selection bounds shortcut

Post by Robert Randolph »

philbrown wrote:I access that command in the drop-down menu shown here, which seems easier to me than workarounds.

Oh hey, cool. That is definitely an improvement.
Robert Randolph

vudoo wrote:
Select the soundbite first
Ctrl-R
Option-Shift-S
Select the track
ok i got it..

BUT it requires 3 steps to accomplish something i could already do in 2....no thanks :)

Anyways, thanks for your help but the best method would be for DP to establish a similar workflow to PT..one click on the soundbite, simple!
If you're working with audio, you get used to it after a while. Stockholm syndrome basically. :lol:
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Robert Randolph wrote:
Uh.. hmmm. I don't understand at all. It's not doing that for me.

If you're trying to set the memory cycle to selection it's the "Set Memory to Selection" shortcut, but that's not what the OP is asking about.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here. A simple workflow demonstrating the function would be helpful.
Sorry Robert, getting over a migraine and my thoughts are scattered.

Here's what I do:

1. Make a selection in the Time ruler (Sequence window)
2. Go to the Control Panel and select "Set to Selection Bounds"
3. Hit number "7" on the numeric keyboard

You should see that the selection is now in Memory Cycle mode.

Edit:

Looks like a lot of replies since I finally posted this. Please disregard if it doesn't apply to the thread. :oops:
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Robert Randolph

Tritonemusic wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:
Uh.. hmmm. I don't understand at all. It's not doing that for me.

If you're trying to set the memory cycle to selection it's the "Set Memory to Selection" shortcut, but that's not what the OP is asking about.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here. A simple workflow demonstrating the function would be helpful.
Sorry Robert, getting over a migraine and my thoughts are scattered.

Here's what I do:

1. Make a selection in the Time ruler (Sequence window)
2. Go to the Control Panel and select "Set to Selection Bounds"
3. Hit number "7" on the numeric keyboard

You should see that the selection is now in Memory Cycle mode.

Edit:

Looks like a lot of replies since I finally posted this. Please disregard if it doesn't apply to the thread. :oops:
Yeah, that's a different command than what the OP wants.

Exact same name... but you know, totally different. There's one more identically named command that also does something different too, and multiple 'selection' commands that do different types of selections (time/region) without being labelled.

It always confuses me too. :oops:
vudoo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by vudoo »

DP is a great software in its own right but i must say that it's all these little workflow differences that make PT the king for audio editing and i even dare say MIDI!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

vudoo wrote:DP is a great software in its own right but i must say that it's all these little workflow differences that make PT the king for audio editing and i even dare say MIDI!
I think that's obviously an opinion. Both apps have strengths and weaknesses. I have a very good friend who works frequently in both doing lots of audio editing and according to him there are many situations in which PT slows him down.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

bleach30 recently explained a fabulous tip in ”Is there a way to start playback within a Memory start/end?” thread ….this “X trick” enables instant playback start from a single click without going up to the wiper, disturbing playback state or any memory or selection setttings….great!!

I was curious why it seemed to be so little known…. so I have just been going through the DP manual looking for Playback From Selection Start to see if this command was referred to anywhere ….or Playback from Selection. I could find no reference at all.

But in my readings I did come across a trick which I hope may contribute to this thread:

Using the I-Beam… if you double click a soundbite it makes a time range selection the length of the soundbite!

…hold Shift and double click another soundbite separated in time from the first and you get a single continuous time range selection from the beginning of the first soundbite to the end of the second!

There are also very cool Time Range selection tips using the I-Beam with MIDI

check the Tools chapter > I-Beam (page 311 in the 9.02 pdf)

If I’m not bleating out the wrong port this may be an elegant answer to vudoo’s question…I hope so
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.3, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards, Softube Console 1 MkII & Fader Control
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

Yep there is and I use this constantly.

In the Commands window search for "Set memory to selection" and insert your favorite key combo.
All done.
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

bleach30 wrote:Yep there is and I use this constantly.

In the Commands window search for "Set memory to selection" and insert your favorite key combo.
All done.
This shortcut is for your memory location start and end point. I was looking for a shortcut for time range selection when you select a clip.

For example, if i want to repeat/duplicate a clip, in DP i must time range select it or select it with the pointer tool then go to <<set to selection bounds>> and finally Command-R for Repeat. Note that the <<set to selection bounds>> appears in three different mini-menu (Memory Menu, Punch Menu and Set to...) and they all do different things, the one i'm referring to is under Set to....in the sequence editor.

As mentioned earlier, i find the biggest adjustment using DP compare to other DAW is it's track base and not clip base, so one must always do a time range selection .
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

Doesn't the I-beam trick do it for you vudoo?

Just hold I and double click your soundbite ....done
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.3, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards, Softube Console 1 MkII & Fader Control
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

Ah I see now, sorry. I use Pro Tools daily for work and agree with you in regards to some audio editing work flows that PT makes much easier.

How about "Paste Repeat" ?

Using this doesn't require a "time selection" only a normal selection like any other copy/paste function. Also, with "Paste Repeat" you can include "empty space" which can come in handy for placing things that come in every ..16 bars for example.

You can do this in the Sequence view but sometimes its easier to make larger selections in Tracks view.

1. Select and Copy the clip like in a normal copy/paste kind of way.
2. Click and drag out a selection of time
3. Goto Edit/Paste Repeat

This works with MIDI as well.

I'd show you but I've never uploaded a video here before so not sure how.
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

Maxxy wrote:Doesn't the I-beam trick do it for you vudoo?

Just hold I and double click your soundbite ....done
Cool trick, thx...

It'll be great if we can view MIDI as clips in Sequence Edit so this trick will work without having to go back to Track view.
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

bleach30 wrote:Ah I see now, sorry. I use Pro Tools daily for work and agree with you in regards to some audio editing work flows that PT makes much easier.

Using this doesn't require a "time selection" only a normal selection like any other copy/paste function. Also, with "Paste Repeat" you can include "empty space" which can come in handy for placing things that come in every ..16 bars for example.

You can do this in the Sequence view but sometimes its easier to make larger selections in Tracks view.

Thanks for the tip, i'll give it a go when i get back to the studio...

Btw, any tricks when in Sequence Edit view for quick selection of MIDI as there's no MIDI clip view, only notes.
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

vudoo

I think it's generally better to work in Tracks Overview if you like to see MIDI as clips....or objects....zooming in or out to the definition you wish to see

But the Insert tool, which is initiated at any time by simply holding "I", makes time range selections. So in the SE window , after holding "I", select the area near the note you want to make the time range selection from and then, continuing to hold the "I" beam, hold shift and move to end of the time range you want to make. Depending on how you have Snap To Grid set up it should make a complete time range snapped to grid....if not hold Cmd as well to toggle Snap To Grid

Not sure that I've explained it very well...but try it ... it might get you closer to how you like to work

It's new to me too... you have made me think about time range selections and realise I have been using a perfectly functional but more roundabout way to do this ... as Robert said you just get used to a way of working....but it's a pleasure to learn more efficient methods of getting there

Sweeet ( :
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

vudoo wrote:
bleach30 wrote:Ah I see now, sorry. I use Pro Tools daily for work and agree with you in regards to some audio editing work flows that PT makes much easier.

Thanks for the tip, i'll give it a go when i get back to the studio...

Btw, any tricks when in Sequence Edit view for quick selection of MIDI as there's no MIDI clip view, only notes.

Yeah the Sequence view only shows MIDI notes but..

If you like working in Sequence view (like PT) what you could do is use a consolidated window.
I know I know but hear me out...

You could have the Sequence window at the top and really big and at the bottom open the Tracks view but only big enough to view one or 2 tracks at a time, or however many you want it really doesn't matter.

Now the trick is to use the "Show Only Selected Tracks" command (you can assign it to a short cut) and this works independently in each window.

What this allows you to do is:

1 Select a MIDI track (or any track) in the Sequence view
2 Click on the Tracks tab that is open in the consolidated window (don't click on a track just the window or tab)
3 Goto the View menu and Show Only Tracks and choose Selected.

This will bring only that track (or tracks) into view in the Tracks window which basically is the MIDI clip like in PT. This way you can see both. Not totally the same I know.

You can also assign short cuts to go back and forth between windows.