DP MIDI track base vs clip base question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
vudoo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP MIDI track base vs clip base question

Post by vudoo »

In order to balance my orchestral template, i want to insert at the beginning of my MIDI tracks CC1, CC7 and CC11. I'm so used to doing it the cubase/PT's way where MIDI is clip base. I simply insert a 1 bar clip and enter the needed CC values.

What's the best way to achieve this in DP ? Thx
frankf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP MIDI track base vs clip base question

Post by frankf »

Give snapshots a try

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

vudoo wrote:In order to balance my orchestral template, i want to insert at the beginning of my MIDI tracks CC1, CC7 and CC11. I'm so used to doing it the cubase/PT's way where MIDI is clip base. I simply insert a 1 bar clip and enter the needed CC values.

What's the best way to achieve this in DP ? Thx
I use a global clipping. Here's how (from scratch):
Create your initialization sequence in a MIDI track.
Use Project->Clippings->New Digital Performer Clipping Window (if you haven't already). Call it something you'll recognize later (i.e. Global Clips). This creates a clipping window you can use in any project.
Now select the MIDI events, and use Edit->Copy to Clipping Window->Copy to XXX, where XXX is the name of your global clipping window.
From this point on, you can merely drag and drop that clipping onto any track.
Hope this helps.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

In the Track window, is there a way i can create a clip at the beginning of my MIDI track and add all my CCs ?

The only way i found was to go to the MIDI Edit Window, open a controller lane, pencil in your values for CC1-CC7 and CC11...quite tedious :( I guess i can also insert those CC events in the Event List. Is there a faster way ?
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

vudoo wrote:In the Track window, is there a way i can create a clip at the beginning of my MIDI track and add all my CCs ?

The only way i found was to go to the MIDI Edit Window, open a controller lane, pencil in your values for CC1-CC7 and CC11...quite tedious :( I guess i can also insert those CC events in the Event List. Is there a faster way ?
Using the technique I described, you'll only have to do the manual entry once. It's drag and drop after that.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

As i'm new to DP, i'm trying to find the best way to enter CC data since one cannot create clips.

Once the clip is created, i can use your method, option drag or copy paste to add more clips, but as i've mentioned it's the different methods for recording CC that i'm interested in. Thanks
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

You can also use the "Insert Continuous Data" command in the Region menu. Select the first measure of as many tracks as you like.

It's designed to insert a curve, but if you enter the same values in the "Change smoothly from ___ to ____", you'll get a single value at the start of your selection.

Repeat as desired for each CC.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

mesayre wrote:You can also use the "Insert Continuous Data" command in the Region menu. Select the first measure of as many tracks as you like.

It's designed to insert a curve, but if you enter the same values in the "Change smoothly from ___ to ____", you'll get a single value at the start of your selection.

Repeat as desired for each CC.
Ah this is great, saves lots of time...Do you know if there's a way to insert more than one CC ? Thx
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

vudoo wrote:
Ah this is great, saves lots of time...Do you know if there's a way to insert more than one CC ? Thx
I don't think so. If your template doesn't change much you could always include the CC's in your template.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB