Canyon Delay

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Canyon Delay

Post by Prime Mover »

I've always been puzzled as to how to accomplish a good outdoor environment with delay lines. I'd just like to create a series of very long delays with stereo direction and feedback. The Echo plugin almost accomplishes this, but the delays aren't pannable, and the Delay plugin has left/right delays, but only one for each side. And then most algorithmic reverb plugins like eVerb and Valhalla Room can't create a long enough "close reverb", to produce a realistic outdoor environment. Any thoughts?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
RodneySauer

Re: Canyon Delay

Post by RodneySauer »

I don't do this kind of thing, but couldn't you send your audio to several different aux
Tracks, each with its own instance of Delay, to give you more instances?
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You seek PSP 608 Multidelay, umm hmmm - yes... ha ha ha...

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Prime Mover wrote:The Echo plugin almost accomplishes this, but the delays aren't panable...
You could output a stereo channel to two mono auxes (one for each side) and place two mono Echo pluggins. Kind of clumsy, but it should work.
...and the Delay plugin has left/right delays, but only one for each side.
If you're running these on an aux, you can have multiple auxes set up (grouped if you like) with an instance of Delay on each aux, all set to the same bus input. Again clumsy, but works.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Problem with all these options is, not only are they clunky and slow (as you mentioned), but they're independent of each other. In a real space, the delays would all cross feedback into each other, DP can't accomplish this without erroring, and let's be realistic, even if you could, it would be a pain in the butt. Obviously this is a job for a third party, will look into the PSP plug.

UPDATE: Ack, I really can't justify $150 for this kind of plugin. TBH, this is a little more of a curiosity then anything, though I would use it for work, it's not critical. Maybe $50 or so.

Damn I miss cycling74 plugo, I could easily build this in Max/MSP. :O... maybe Reaktor!
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

There are some outdoor impulse files for convolution reverbs. I used one to give the impression of someone walking through a forest towards far off temple bells. It sounded OK to me and satisfied the composer. I don't remember where I got it, but they are easily found, e.g.

http://www.asoundeffect.com/sound-libra ... responses/

Maybe you can find a public domain impulse file that does what you want.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

bayswater wrote:There are some outdoor impulse files for convolution reverbs. I used one to give the impression of someone walking through a forest towards far off temple bells. It sounded OK to me and satisfied the composer. I don't remember where I got it, but they are easily found, e.g.

http://www.asoundeffect.com/sound-libra ... responses/

Maybe you can find a public domain impulse file that does what you want.
Yes, I was going to suggest impulse responses as well, but I'm not sure that is what you wanted. There are some very good large open space impulses here: http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-i ... responses/
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Prime Mover wrote:
UPDATE: Ack, I really can't justify $150!
I agree. When I bought this several months ago it was on sale for some obscenely low amount. Glad I did.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS