DP 8.07 crashing before opening w/ new El Capitan..

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
tonyvose
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 8.07 crashing before opening w/ new El Capitan..

Post by tonyvose »

Hello all -- I just installed a new, larger boot drive, moved up to El Capitan 10.11.6 (that's as far as my Mac Pro will go, won't do Sierra..)), & used Carbon Copy Cloner. I then re-authorized DP. Most of the time (not all, but most..) DP 8.07 crashes before getting to the "Open project" window. Is anybody else having this issue, & how can one fix it?... (I own DP 9 ; I'm in the middle of a number of projects and I'm a little reluctant to move up/onward to it just yet...)
Thanks very much --- Tony
MacPro 2 X 3 Ghz Intel, 64 Gb RAM, OS X 10.11.6, DP 9.51, Reason 8, UAD Quad, AutoTune, ChannelStrip, VintageWarmer, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, N-I Komplete 10, Minimonsta, impOSCar, Oddity, Sylenth
David Polich

Re: DP 8.07 crashing before opening w/ new El Capitan..

Post by David Polich »

I think DP 8 might be too old to work with El Cap...just sayin'.

You can try two things - 1., upgrade to Sierra, since by most reports it is the "fixed"
version of El Crap...er I mean, El Capitan.

2. Upgrade to DP 9. You can get 9.02 off of Motu's website, or just take the plunge and install
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

tonyvose wrote:Hello all -- I just installed a new, larger boot drive, moved up to El Capitan 10.11.6 (that's as far as my Mac Pro will go, won't do Sierra..)
If your MP is a 4,1, take a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62800

Updating the EFI effectively makes a 4,1 into a 5,1, so Sierra can be installed (along with other advantages).

If it is a 3,1, look here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac ... a.1978005/
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 8 works fine on my machine in Sierra and great in El Cap before that.

You cloned. This often does not work for too many reasons. Try the following:

Reinstall DP 8.07.

Reinstall the last version of OS 10.11

Repair Permissions by running the following in Terminal (copy and paste)
sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /

Boot into Safe mode by holding the Shift key. After logging in, shut down and reboot.

See if you still have a problem.

You may not have to do all of these steps but, since you cloned, I recommend them all..
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
tonyvose

Post by tonyvose »

Thank you very much. I ended up deciding to move on to DP 9.12. (I'm having a completely different issue now, about which I'm going to start a thread...) --- Tony
MacPro 2 X 3 Ghz Intel, 64 Gb RAM, OS X 10.11.6, DP 9.51, Reason 8, UAD Quad, AutoTune, ChannelStrip, VintageWarmer, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, N-I Komplete 10, Minimonsta, impOSCar, Oddity, Sylenth
dbender

Post by dbender »

mikehalloran wrote:DP 8 works fine on my machine in Sierra and great in El Cap before that.

You cloned. This often does not work for too many reasons. Try the following:
I'm thinking of getting a new iMac, and planning how to move from the hard drive in my current iMac.

I was thinking of doing what I always have done when moving to a new computer – the clone method, i.e., make a clone of my current iMac's hard drive on an external hard drive using Super Duper. Boot the new iMac from that clone drive, erase the new iMac's hard drive, and then clone the clone onto the new iMac's hard drive.

I've always done it this way, but the last time was when I bought my current iMac in 2009. Back then and before that too, Migration Assistant had and caused problems, so I always used the clone method to move to a new computer.

But I've seen posts here in recent years saying Migration Assistant works ok for them.

So, Mike (and anyone else who knows from experience), is it now better to move to a new computer to not use the clone method, and instead use Migration Assistant? If so, should the source drive for Migration Assistant be my latest Time Machine backup or should it be my most current close back up?

And when would I run Migration Assistant exactly? Do I first connect the source drive for migration assistant to the new computer, turn it on, let it do its install routine and then it will at some point give me the option to use Migration Assistant?
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Use Migration Assistant from the old Mac or Time Machine. There are many reasons why Apple never recommends cloning.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

FYI, FWIW, I'm running DP8.07 on OS/X 11.6 without issue. I installed El. Cap. over Mt. Lion on my mid-2011 iMac. Did not require re-auth on anything.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello,
I migrated from 10.6.8 to El Capitan on a new drive and had some issues with DP 8.07, menu items not functioning (greyed out). No amount of messing around fixed it. I am now waiting on authorization $$ to upgrade to DP 9.12. The trial version seemed to work OK.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
dbender

Post by dbender »

mikehalloran wrote:Use Migration Assistant from the old Mac or Time Machine. There are many reasons why Apple never recommends cloning.
Thanks, Mike.

• What's wrong with cloning? Can you give a couple of examples?

• When you say to use Migration Assistant "from the old Mac" do you mean connecting the old Mac to the new Mac and using it as the source instead of the external clone drive? If so, do I just connect the old to the new Mac or do I have to do something to get it into FireWire Target Mode or something like that?
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

dbender wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Use Migration Assistant from the old Mac or Time Machine. There are many reasons why Apple never recommends cloning.
Thanks, Mike.

• What's wrong with cloning? Can you give a couple of examples?
Cloning doesn't include the restore partition. I don't know why cloning apps don't do that. I've been bitten by that, but if on upgrades the OS or re-installs it, the restore partition is replaced. Still, I like to have a bootable clone on hand and a Time Machine backup.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Cloning an old Mac onto a new has no advantages including speed. It can cause problems. Not saying I don't like it—I charge $50 an hour to fix those and I billed 7 hours the last time.

If the minimum OS on the new Mac is later, you can clone yourself into a Mac that can't boot and has no Repair Partition so that you can't Option-R your way into a repair.

You can clone problems that Migration Assistant will filter out.

If the RAM is not perfect on the old Mac, you can create problems that the new Mac will have great difficulty diagnosing. Actually, I use cloning software to diagnose bad RAM if I suspect it and just can't get the bad stick to show itself any other way.

No Repair Partition...

There are times that cloning software is ideal. When I need to make 35 desktops in a classroom identical before the start od a school year, cloning is my friend. Otherwise, I agree with Apple.

Migration Assistant had a bug in OS 10.9.4 that affected Time Machine restores and my iMac was the only machine I encountered it on. Apple fixed it in 10.9.5 and I have never had a problem with it since.

I no longer use shareware cloning software. To me, it's prime feature is to get you to shell out the paid upgrade.
dbender

Post by dbender »

Mike and cuttime, thank you for the info.

Mike, I've just PM'd you.