Is there a way to lock tracks so they always show?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
vudoo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Is there a way to lock tracks so they always show?

Post by vudoo »

Couple of questions for you DP gurus...

1- I use a large template for orchestral work, when it comes time to mix, i enable the ''show tracks with data and soundbites''. This will only show tracks that have data but it also hide all by aux, main output etc...Is there a way to lock a track so it's always visible ?

2- Cubase has a handy feature where it can show/hide tracks with data starting at the playhead cursor, is there something similar in DP ? I ask this question because in order to balance my template, i inserted CC's value (CC1, CC7, CC11) at the beginning (bar 1) of all my MIDI tracks and by doing so the ''show tracks with data and soundbites'' won't work anymore unless, like in cubase, i park the playhead at bar 2 before activating the ''show tracks with data and soundbites''.

Thanks
frankf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is there a way to lock tracks so they always show?

Post by frankf »

Try making a Group from your mix tracks and enable the show/hide tracks options. Then when you opt-click a member of the group in the Track Selector of say, the Mixer, only your mix tracks show. Include your masters, Auxes in the group. Also, before
mixing I often create an Unused folder and populated it with deactivated unused tracks close and move it to the bottom.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

Hi Frankf,

The show hide method is what i use in PT and i was hoping for a better and more elegant solution. Here's a quick example of my workflow. My orchestral template consist of over 700 tracks. Let say for a particular piece, i'm using 80 out of the 700 tracks. In cubase, i simply park my playhead on bar 3 (i have MIDI CC to balance my template on bar 1) and ''show tracks with data and soundbites from cursor position''...bam! i only see my MIDI, bounced audio tracks and stems that i use.

With the show/hide method, i must hi light all the tracks i use, create groups...and if i need to add/delete tracks later, i must edit my show/hide group, it's just way more work.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Is there a reason for changing DAW's. I'm impressed by 700 track templates in PT, Cubase and DP? What version of DP are you using?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
frankf

Post by frankf »

vudoo wrote:Hi Frankf,

The show hide method is what i use in PT and i was hoping for a better and more elegant solution. Here's a quick example of my workflow. My orchestral template consist of over 700 tracks. Let say for a particular piece, i'm using 80 out of the 700 tracks. In cubase, i simply park my playhead on bar 3 (i have MIDI CC to balance my template on bar 1) and ''show tracks with data and soundbites from cursor position''...bam! i only see my MIDI, bounced audio tracks and stems that i use.

With the show/hide method, i must hi light all the tracks i use, create groups...and if i need to add/delete tracks later, i must edit my show/hide group, it's just way more work.
I hear you, but the workflow I use takes only a few seconds once you start using Commands with templates with pre assigned groups. Different strokes.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

waxman wrote:Is there a reason for changing DAW's. I'm impressed by 700 track templates in PT, Cubase and DP? What version of DP are you using?
I'm using DP 9.12 on a nMP 6 cores and all my VIs are on a second nMP 12 cores in VEP pro 6.

I use mostly PTHD12 but also compose/mix in DP and Cubase for compatibility reasons with clients. I have the exact same 700+ track template in PT, CB and DP and use whichever DAW the job/client requires.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Even more impressive
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

Two ideas to explore:

1) Could you use a saved search, bound to a keystroke, to streamline the process of selecting the tracks you want to show/hide through grouping?

2) Perhaps put a special character or letter combo in the track name of the ones you're using, and use DP 9's search bar to filter based on that character? I'm still on DP 8, so I can't verify this, but seems like it could work.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
labman

Post by labman »

For my huge orch template, I also tend to do what Frank suggests with the saved groups show/hide thing.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.