DP and Everything Else to an Existing El Capitan SSD?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP and Everything Else to an Existing El Capitan SSD?

Post by buzzsmith »

Hi, all!

I feel like I'm gonna be left behind soon with some VIs and plugins as my primary system is still OSX 10.8.5. (Couldn't even demo the MODO bass, as an example.)

I do have a secondary startup SSD with El Capitan installed and functioning.
I did open DP 9.01 this morning with the ElCap drive as boot-up and activated DP with my keycode. DP on the "new" drive opened but every VI and plugin (dozens) that I'm used to working with are, of course, not showing or even recognized as an insert.

It's been a few years since I've done this, so any help or tips to make the transition to macOS 10.11 as my primary system with Digital Performer and access to all of the VIs and plugins is greatly appreciated.

Waves, UAD, Slate, Melodyne, Kontakt, iZotope, Spectrasonics just to name a few.

Thanks!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

HCMarkus

Re: DP and Everything Else to an Existing El Capitan SSD?

Post by HCMarkus »

I'll chime in, but look forward to hearing from Mike on this subject.

Buzz, I just moved to Sierra from Mountain Lion with relative ease by simply upgrading the OS on my daily driver boot SSD. I can't recall any serious issues, but had to perform the expected driver updates (MOTU, AlphaTrack, Shuttle XPress) and enable Trim in Terminal (supported under the latest versions of OS X, I no longer need Cindori's Trim Enabler).

Before I did the upgrade, I cloned my boot SSD to a spare spinner and tested DP running under Sierra on that drive. After confirming it worked well, I re-cloned my known good boot SSD to the spinner and proceeded with the upgrade on the SSD. That way, I could quickly revert if necessary.

Remember that if you want to move to Sierra at some point, you will need to flash the EFI firmware in your 2009 4,1 Mac Pro to 5,1 2010/12 as we have discussed previously. I will keep hounding you on this point (in a hopefully not-too-antagonistic manner) until you see the light, run the EFI update and put a hex CPU in your 4,1.

:smash:

Happy New Year!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There's some info missing here. How big is this secondary SSD? How big the primary? Where are your missing plugs installed?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

HCMarkus wrote:I'll chime in, but look forward to hearing from Mike on this subject.

Buzz, I just moved to Sierra from Mountain Lion with relative ease by simply upgrading the OS on my daily driver boot SSD. I can't recall any serious issues, but had to perform the expected driver updates (MOTU, AlphaTrack, Shuttle XPress) and enable Trim in Terminal (supported under the latest versions of OS X, I no longer need Cindori's Trim Enabler).

Before I did the upgrade, I cloned my boot SSD to a spare spinner and tested DP running under Sierra on that drive. After confirming it worked well, I re-cloned my known good boot SSD to the spinner and proceeded with the upgrade on the SSD. That way, I could quickly revert if necessary.

Remember that if you want to move to Sierra at some point, you will need to flash the EFI firmware in your 2009 4,1 Mac Pro to 5,1 2010/12 as we have discussed previously. I will keep hounding you on this point (in a hopefully not-too-antagonistic manner) until you see the light, run the EFI update and put a hex CPU in your 4,1.

:smash:

Happy New Year!
Thanks, HC!

I think that's what I did when I went from SL to ML.

However, I don't know if I can easily upgrade my 10.8.5 OS drive to 10.11 as it doesn't show up as a possible option from the App Store. I honestly can't recall how I installed El Capitan on the secondary SSD. I might be able to find some notes in my notebook regarding my Mac OSX upgrades and issues.

I do remember that it took about a week last time as I had to re-authorize where needed and to reestablish some VI pathways.

January is probably my best time to do this...I just want to be careful!

Appreciate it!

Buzzy

(And the 4,1 to 5,1 is still in my plans. Maybe that should be first!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

waxman

Post by waxman »

Ready, Fire, Aim...

MODO alone is a good reason to update. That is the VI of the year imo. You're in good hands with HCM and Mike so just go for it... So far the only issue I have had on Sierra is the magic mouse. Thanks to Mike's advice I DID NOT do a clean install on Sierra. No re-auths were needed. Some updates were needed but the software companies have good update utilities and Apple seems to have it together on updates. I waited until everything was confirmed working. I needed a little terminal routine to install FXpansion but Slate, UAD, NI, Arturia, IKmultimedia, Izotope and Spectrasonics all migrated no problem. I believe those companies are solid and will be around for years.

Waves also migrated fine but I've weened myself off waves plugs by setting up Slate plugs that do the Waves things I liked. Slate is 75% of what I use now along with a sprinkling of UAD. I've rediscovered some cool MOTU plugs like de-esser. Consolidating and using less of a variety tools is working better for me. Less is more.

Buzz it may be a good time to consider consolidating your tools. I thinks some of the plugs that are on life support can take down the whole system. Like Bias Peak I really wish was still happening. It kinda works with Sierra but it's more grief then it's worth. I miss my DB 112 headphone plugin and a few others but I'll live. That said my paradigm has switched to using a few really good companies. New technology like VMS, MODO, RAVEN MTi2 are so good it's amazing. Good luck with the change Buzz. Happy New Year!!!
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I'm about to migrate to a 1TB SSD w/El Capitan myself (I'm currently on a 7200rpm HDD), but so far, DP 9, my plugs and my VIs have been running flawlessly for me on El Cap. Even my old 32-bit plugs are running great via 32Lives. This is probably going to be a dumb question, but are your plugs and VIs installed on the SSD, or only your old drive?
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Armageddon wrote:I'm about to migrate to a 1TB SSD w/El Capitan myself (I'm currently on a 7200rpm HDD), but so far, DP 9, my plugs and my VIs have been running flawlessly for me on El Cap. Even my old 32-bit plugs are running great via 32Lives. This is probably going to be a dumb question, but are your plugs and VIs installed on the SSD, or only your old drive?
Not dumb, at all!

Most of the VIs and library data are on a separate drive. The disclaimer here is that some insist on, at least partially, to be installed on the primary HD. I can detail that when I get the studio Mac up later.

I'm not doing it today, but it looks like what I should do is...

1. Clone current primary HD for safety and check boot status
2. See if I can download El Capitan from the App Store
3. Install El Capitan on my primary drive

More soon, and thanks!

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

buzzsmith wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:Remember that if you want to move to Sierra at some point, you will need to flash the EFI firmware in your 2009 4,1 Mac Pro to 5,1 2010/12.
And the 4,1 to 5,1 is still in my plans. Maybe that should be first!
Buzz, it is easier to do the EFI update from ML, because ML is pre-SIPP. Just sayin'...

Again, the EFI update opens the Sierra and CPU upgrade option. You can update EFI now and do CPU swap later if that is a concern.

See my post from yesterday if you want to add Bluetooth 4.0 to your cMP or put the Bluetooth transmitter/receiver closer to your wireless device(s).
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

HCMarkus wrote:
buzzsmith wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:Remember that if you want to move to Sierra at some point, you will need to flash the EFI firmware in your 2009 4,1 Mac Pro to 5,1 2010/12.
And the 4,1 to 5,1 is still in my plans. Maybe that should be first!
Buzz, it is easier to do the EFI update from ML, because ML is pre-SIPP. Just sayin'...

Again, the EFI update opens the Sierra and CPU upgrade option. You can update EFI now and do CPU swap later if that is a concern.

See my post from yesterday if you want to add Bluetooth 4.0 to your cMP or put the Bluetooth transmitter/receiver closer to your wireless device(s).
Cool.

I'll refer to this... 'Error 5570' while trying 4,1 to 5,1 firmware update

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

And try it soon. Maybe this afternoon.

Thanks...

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The long term solution to this perennial problem is to have two or more bootable partitions or drives: one with the current operating setup and one where you can test the next versions of everything. You always have the insurance of the partition that works, no matter how messed up the test partition gets.

There are other flexibilities too:

If you update the OS and all is well on your new working setup, you can update the test partition to the same OS version and use it to test the next version of DP, or new plugins, etc.

If you set up a test partition on a new OS and it works really well, you can just update the OS on the operating partition so you don't have to bother with reinstalling and authorizing plugins.

If you want to keep using an old app that won't run on a new OS you like, you can keep it going on the other partition until it is updated or a substitute comes along.

If new OS versions were truly ready for production on release, none of this would be necessary, but with the current state of OS X updates, and occasionally, DP and Logic updates (yes, it appears Apple does even not ensure that a new OS version works properly with the current version of Logic), I find having two working partitions essential.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Get the hardware issue with your CPU upgrade sorted out first.

Why you would partition anything when you have space for 4 drives is a mystery to me.

When the time comes, Install the OS you want on the new SSD and use Migration Assistant to pull the files into your new drive—either from the old drive or Time Machine.

If storing your libraries on a second drive, do that after you have your boot drive set and functioning by reinstalling. This sets the paths correctly so that DP can find them.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

My plan may have changed. I can download El Capitan and install it on my primary drive as I downloaded it before for the secondary drive so it's showing as available on the App Store.

But, because of having to disable SIM, I'll probably try the firmware update first through my current ML and then download El Cap.

Make sense? I hope!

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote:Why you would partition anything when you have space for 4 drives is a mystery to me.
I hear you MIke, but my personal experience is that, with today's extremely large drives, partitioning can make life better in two ways:

1. Easier to keep track of what is where and, as Bays mentions, test drive stuff before committing.

2. Spinners have fast outer regions and much slower inner regions. Partitioning allows the user to allocate the speedier space to where it will be useful, and relegate the slower inner regions to less time-critical tasks. (Of course, this point does not apply to SSDs.)

One issue I note, having just opened Disc Utility on the Sierra OS laptop on which I am typing, is that Apple has chosen to display partitions in a pie chart, as opposed to the old top-down list. In the older versions of Disc Utility, it was easy to know which partition would be addressing the fast outer drive regions; it was the top partition, Now, I'm not so sure...
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

buzzsmith wrote:My plan may have changed. I can download El Capitan and install it on my primary drive as I downloaded it before for the secondary drive so it's showing as available on the App Store.

But, because of having to disable SIM, I'll probably try the firmware update first through my current ML and then download El Cap.
That may not be as easy as you think. I just tried to doing the exact same thing today (I'm preparing to install both an SSD and a 1TB spinner as a secondary drive in my machine) and the App Store continually stalled out after I hit the "Download" button. There's another version available if you really poke around on Apple's site, for users who are migrating from Snow Leopard to Sierra and have to install El Cap first, but if you follow those links to the App Store and you already have El Cap installed, it tells you that version can't be installed on your machine. In short, Apple doesn't really want anybody installing El Capitan anymore.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page