Delete beats from all soundbites?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Delete beats from all soundbites?

Post by Robert Randolph »

As the title says... I need to delete all 'beats' from every selected soundbite.

I have failed to find this in the manual or via google/youtube if it exists. The only thing I'm aware of is opening the soundbite editor and deleting them one at a time.
cuttime

Re: Delete beats from all soundbites?

Post by cuttime »

Not in front of DP right now, but I think the "Search" function may accomplish what you want.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Robert Randolph

cuttime wrote:Not in front of DP right now, but I think the "Search" function may accomplish what you want.
I've gone through all the search options and I don't see beats anywhere.
magicd

Post by magicd »

Just curious. Why do you want to delete all found beats in all soundbites?

Dave
Robert Randolph

magicd wrote:Just curious. Why do you want to delete all found beats in all soundbites?

Dave
So here's the scenario that I've encountered:
  • Somehow "Always look for beats automatically in any project that is opened" got turned on. I usually have this off, and I don't recall checking it.
  • I recorded a drum track with many comps and overdubs. All of these soundbites in the 18 track recording were automatically beat-detected with their own beat information (this is the core of the problem).
  • In this genre of music it's imperative that the kick is quantized dead-on to the grid. Since I use 2 room mics, replacing with MIDI/samples never sounds quite right. DP's quantize usually works well enough if the performance is pretty close.
Now I usually just copy beats from the kick to all other tracks then quantize beats within soundbites. A bit more complex than that since I work in small stages and manually adjust things, but that's the general idea.

The problem is that now I have 200+ soundbites across many files that all have their own beat information.

DP's 'copy beats' function does not overwrite beats on the destination track. So if I try to use 'quantize beats within soundbites' I get some very weird results as all the tracks have different beat information.

The only solution that I know of is to delete all beat information then commence with my normal workflow.

I've already started going through and manually deleting all the information, but it'd be quite useful if there was an easier way to do this.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Don't have it with me right now, but maybe it can be done with the batch processing in DSP-Q or similar.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
davidh

Post by davidh »

Just a thought, what about using Merge Soundbites?
Once you have done all your comping, make sure "Automatically analyze beats in this project" is disabled in background processing prefs, then do a Merge Soundbites on all your drum tracks over the full length of the tune. The newly merged soundbites/tracks should not have any beats in them. Then manually "Find Beats" in your kick track and copy those kick beats to the other tracks. Now create a group from all the drum tracks and edit/split into small soundbites/quantize as necessary.
Mac Pro 'Nehalem' 2 x 2.66 Quad Core, 28GB, 10.11.6 || MacBook Pro 2.7 Intel Core i7 Retina, 16GB, 10.11.6 || MOTU 2408 Mk3, 828 Mk 2, MTP AV || DP 9.51 & 9.13, Mach 5 v3, MSI, Ethno2, MX4, VEPro6, all Spectrasonics, Kontakt ... and many of the other usual suspects.
http://www.thekeyboard.co.uk
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

That's brilliant, if it works, or even if it doesn't.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Robert Randolph

davidh wrote:Just a thought, what about using Merge Soundbites?
Once you have done all your comping, make sure "Automatically analyze beats in this project" is disabled in background processing prefs, then do a Merge Soundbites on all your drum tracks over the full length of the tune. The newly merged soundbites/tracks should not have any beats in them. Then manually "Find Beats" in your kick track and copy those kick beats to the other tracks. Now create a group from all the drum tracks and edit/split into small soundbites/quantize as necessary.
Excellent idea!

I think an improvement to this would be to duplicate to a take first then merge soundbites so the edits still exist if it's needed later for some odd reason.

Thanks!