MIDI keyboard splits?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI keyboard splits?

Post by Prime Mover »

I know this has been asked in the past (usually answered with a resounding "No"), but in recent years, has anyone figured out some way of filtering MIDI keyboard regions to different tracks in multi-record? I'm working on a fusion jazz piece here where I have a synth in the left hand and a piano in the right. I could record them separately, but I'd REALLY like to play it organically at the same time and I just can't think of how. Custom consoles? A MIDI insert plugin? Some hidden setting I don't know about? Anything?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
philbrown

Re: MIDI keyboard splits?

Post by philbrown »

I had a look at Consoles again and also MIDI plugs - I don't see any way to do that. Seems like a simple request though. My only pretty lame attempt at a workaround would be to find a compromise sound just to track with, then split the notes out after the fact to two MIDI tracks. I assume there's no way to do this at the keyboard itself or you wouldn't be asking.

An aside: A couple of days ago I was tracking piano to my wife's already recorded bass part on a ballad of ours. My left hand kept stepping all over the bass so we decided to just track the right hand part. It was all I could do keep my left hand off the piano- much harder than I ever would have thought! In hindsight and in reference to the above, I could have just tracked it and deleted the left hand parts later.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Prime Mover wrote:I know this has been asked in the past (usually answered with a resounding "No"), but in recent years, has anyone figured out some way of filtering MIDI keyboard regions to different tracks in multi-record?
As Phil notes, simple to do IF your keyboard controller is able to transmit the two regions on separate MIDI channels, as many controllers can. Just program a patch on the keyboard with the split at the appropriate point.

Alternately, one could program the sound generators to limit their range of response.

Although just about anything is possible in post-record editing, I don't think DP is going to help you much while recording.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

philbrown wrote:...My only pretty lame attempt at a workaround would be to find a compromise sound just to track with, then split the notes out after the fact to two MIDI tracks...
This is exactly what we did on a recent project. The keyboard this guy used does have the ability to split the keyboard's audio output, but not the MIDI. So we found sounds he was comfortable with for tracking (recording both an audio and MIDI track) and used the Split Notes window after the fact to create two tracks for the VIs we used. PIA, I know, but it worked quite well and the pianist was happy with his performance.

Of course you could also use a second keyboard. :wink:

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

You pretty much answered your own question.
This is a MIDI keyboard controller function.
Not anything you can do inside DP.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
reedster

Post by reedster »

Plouge Bidule could do that task.

Looks like you have Komplete - perhaps a Kontakt Multiscript? Explain with more detail about the destinations, and I'll have a go at it.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

MidiPipe can do it.
http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html

IMOE, it has solved problems nothing else did.
BTW, yes, it's old, yes it's somewhat cumbersome, but it's free.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Wonderful! That looks like it should do the trick in the future. I broke down and used the MIDI split on my controller, but I really hate doing it through hardware because it's so inaccessible for day to day use... splits should be track/sequence specific, IMO.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
stoecklem
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by stoecklem »

There are vst plugins that can do this if you dont't mind a little setup with MIDI out of vst feeding tracks. MIDI polymesher I believe was what I used a ways back and it worked well, but it might have been another vst
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

MidiPipe is NOT track, nor sequence specific.
It works outside DAW.

BTW, I'd love to see DP revamp and improve its real-time effects.
Maybe someday...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

This seems like a very reasonable feature request.

In the Bundles window, perhaps adding some complexity to the MIDI or Instruments tab-- splits could be added that send velocities and key-ranges to different instruments.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I want a plugin lag generator that alters MIDI CC; it would broaden the usefulness of aftertouch and BC considerably.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

TBH: I sorta wish DP just had an MIDI AppleScript Expression plugin the way Logic/Mainstage does, then we could write all these MIDI filters/modifiers/etc ourselves and share them with each other.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Meanwhile, since Samplitude also has this limitation, I've been dropping an instance of FL Studio's free Mini Host Modular (available as VST and AU) into a track self-contained with all the MIDI filters (the also-free PizMIDI collection) and VST's already in place.

It is rather awful that we have to jump through so many hoops, really.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Agreed. It all goes back to this basic limitation in the architecture of DP tracks... they have no individual settings. Many of the features that I'd like to see, across the board, could be solved if tracks could have their own settings and preferences: drum tracks could have their own drum kits (instead of having to store them in those cumbersome MIDI Device Groups), MIDI tracks could include take comping with the likely settings involved, and MIDI tracks could have their own event filtering, note ranges, etc. But that requires assigning a more robust segment of metadata to tracks than simply the channel strip controls. If you look at it like this, you'd realize there were a good percentage of long-time unfulfilled requests that are due to this limitation.
— Eric Barker
Eel House