MIDI keyboard splits?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MIDI keyboard splits?

Post by terrybritton »

Well, I hate to say this (as I do love working with DP), but these limitations have been with DP since it was ONLY MIDI, as Performer (my first sequencer used on my hyped up Mac Plus for years). I mean, c'mon -- it has been 20 years with this MIDI slack of missing the filters. This cannot be that hard. I use Cantabile 3 for live stuff (and for laying down tracks quite often as well!) and it has MIDI filters coming out of its ears! (Wow - what a allegory-filled picture!)

Maybe someday... (not holding my breath!)

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
billunatic
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by billunatic »

This is easily accomplished by enabling Multi Record in the Studio menu.
Once you enable Multi Record you can record MIDI to multiple tracks and specify what incoming MIDI channel each separate track records from.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

billunatic wrote:This is easily accomplished by enabling Multi Record in the Studio menu.
Once you enable Multi Record you can record MIDI to multiple tracks and specify what incoming MIDI channel each separate track records from.
Yes, of course, but you would need to have the ability to split and re-channelize your keyboard from within the keyboard itself for that to work. This thread is concerned with using a MIDI filter to accomplish these splits from within DP.

Here is how I've done it using Mini-Host Modular:

In the snapshot below, I have my MPK249 coming in on Channel 3 controlling the upper manual of the organ (re-channelized to channel 1), and the Komplete Kontrol S-88 coming in on Channel 1 controlling the lower manual on Channel-2 with the upper half of the keyboard, and controlling the pedalboard on Channel-3 with the lower-half of that same keyboard.
I added channel filters first to isolate the channel (input set to "All"), followed by re-channelizing, then split the S-88.
I am using the PizMIDI collection MIDI filters. (The organ is Linplug's Organ3.)

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

phluide

Post by phluide »

Hi,

I've been searching for a way to do multiple MIDI track record for awhile, never needed it before even though been a long time user of DP.
My problem- I have an Arturia Beatstep pro, In control mode I have set the trigger pads to send various note data on different MIDI channels, 5 channels to be precise. they are triggering samples in an E4XT, I've setup a device group to transmit on the necessary channels and the MIDI input to DP is set to any port from the Beatstep. but I only get single sample triggers on one channel spread over the key range :bang head:
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

phluide wrote:Hi,

I've been searching for a way to do multiple MIDI track record for awhile, never needed it before even though been a long time user of DP.
My problem- I have an Arturia Beatstep pro, In control mode I have set the trigger pads to send various note data on different MIDI channels, 5 channels to be precise. they are triggering samples in an E4XT, I've setup a device group to transmit on the necessary channels and the MIDI input to DP is set to any port from the Beatstep. but I only get single sample triggers on one channel spread over the key range :bang head:
Are you on Mac or PC? The trick I showed above only works on PC, unfortunately.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

phluide

Post by phluide »

Hi Terry, Mac!
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

phluide wrote:Hi Terry, Mac!
Aw shucks... I was incorrect about it only being for PC's.

https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHe ... odular.htm

Works on OSX from 10.6 up. Also works with AU's.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid