Free Native Instruments Kontakt Library - Time Limited

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
billf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Free Native Instruments Kontakt Library - Time Limited

Post by billf »

Kinetic Treats Library is free until Jan 4th, so grab it now.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... greetings/
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
mhschmieder

Re: Free Native Instruments Kontakt Library - Time Limited

Post by mhschmieder »

!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!

Download now, by all means, but do NOT use Native Access until they fix their bugs, or you will be sorry! Unless you know ALL of your products are immune to the problems reported with NA.

I have to rush to an eye doctor appointment now so can't look up the details, but I know at the very least that Soniccouture's Hammersmith library disappears "forever" from Kontakt after you tun Native Access -- they say NI is working on it, and in the meantime they sent out workarounds for all of their customers.

I am keeping my copy of the freebie at hand for when it is safe to run Native Access again.

I meant to write about this Native Access problem earlier, but have been working crazy hours and then when I do have time I have by then forgotten to write about it.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Oops, I just noticed that the download is for Native Access itself, where you enter the access code and then it downloads the freebie.

So each person needs to judge whether it's worth the risk. It may be that the Hammersmith problem from Soniccouture was then only issue and that their workaround is sufficient.

I can see why this is how it works now, as apparently Native Access and Arturia's app manager are one and the same, or variants of each other. I talked about this a few months ago when I noticed my Arturia products (and a few others as well) were showing up in Native Access.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Really got run now, but here's what Soniccouture wrote a few days ago:

We think we have found a solution to the bug, thanks to the NI user forum and a couple of our users:

To delete NativeAccess.xml file.

1) Close Kontakt
2) Navigate the following directory and delete the file called NativeAccess.xml:

Mac: Macintosh HD / Library / Application Support / Native Instruments / Service Center
PC: C:/ Program Files / Common Files / Native Instruments / Service Center

3) Relaunch Kontakt - hopefully this fixes the problem!

Do NOT start Native Access again until NI fixes it with an update.

billf

Post by billf »

mhschmieder wrote:do NOT use Native Access until they fix their bugs, or you will be sorry! Unless you know ALL of your products are immune to the problems reported with NA.
Native Access is a disaster, and NI is not responding to my tech tickets about it. My workaround has been to download and install manually, or use Service Center. FYI though, for the item in this thread, Native Access did work for me (and seems to be required for all new purchases of NI products). However, for your already installed products, be careful of using it.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I decided to take the chance.

Note that you must restart Native Access after entering the serial number, for it to see that it has a new product to install.

The Electric Toy Train is an interesting concept, except it sounds like synth effects. :-) Maybe I didn't play with it long enough?

Anyway, the main point is that Soniccouture Hammersmith still shows up and loads properly afterwards, without having to resort to the workaround.

I guess NI fixed that problem as part of this update that includes the freebie.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I just bought Komplete last week but have not yet installed it. I have some some older Arturia plugs, others I've never used because they required Kontakt plus some ancient NI that hasn't worked since OS 10.3(?). I've not downloaded the new freebie yet.

So, is this Native Access nonsense something I get to look forward to? Oh boy!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I have an as yet unresponded-to issue with Native Access, too. Failed installs. Service Center fails, too.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I just got word from Dan Powell of Soniccouture
(we've known each other for over 20 years) that
NI knows about the Native Access issue and is
working round the clock to resolve it. It affects
many vendors products, not just SC's.

The issue is not yet resolved.

I downloaded and installed the latest version
of Service Center from NI's website, and am
back to using that without any problem.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

So, I'm not sure I understand what Native Access is, I haven't bought anything from NI for a few years. Does it replace Service Center? Is it going to muck up any of my other plugins (I don't own any Hammersmith)? Is it something akin to the new PACE or WAVES dongle-free license transfer programs?

And secondly, do I need it to download this freebie? Am I going to need it for future NI upgrades?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

There's an older thread on Native Access, probably in the miscellaneous off-topic forum (I think I started it). Some of us speculate it is associated with the plans they are floating about going to a subscription model (I wrote them a scathing letter against that, and every vote counts).

Does it replace Service Center? Apparently not, as Dave was able to use Service Center to download and install this new freebie -- even though they make it sound like you HAVE to use Native Access to do so.

I wrote in the other thread that the app looked familiar to me, and that this familiarity was reinforced when I noticed my Arturia products showing up in NI Native Access. Apparently it's the same software (at least as its core) as what Arturia uses now that they dumped the USB keys.

Interestingly, I've had zero issues with Arturia installs, updates, and licenses since they switched to their new license manager about a year ago.

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I recently installed Native Access on the laptop. It had an issue installing Guitar Rig, kept timing out.
I just went to their website and installed it from the installers in my account... I'm surprised most of you don't seem to know that you can instal things without either of their software installers? including registered third party software, but I've owned Komplete since v2 so...
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Michael, I know that, but they keep hiding it -- or maybe the website is just so slow that it times out most of the time. I did indeed try that this very time for this specific freebie, and it was a no-go; I was never able to reach anything at my account that did anything other than loop back to the Native Access installer.

It is also possible that not every account is treated the same. As I foolishly tried the beta of Native Access, I may now be frozen out of direct downloads. I don't have time to find out; I've lost way too much time these past few weeks on unplanned/unexpected maintenance and debugging tasks.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Michael Canavan wrote:I recently installed Native Access on the laptop. It had an issue installing Guitar Rig, kept timing out.
I just went to their website and installed it from the installers in my account... I'm surprised most of you don't seem to know that you can instal things without either of their software installers? including registered third party software, but I've owned Komplete since v2 so...
Thanks for the suggestion... although neither Native Access nor Service Center were working properly for me (Native Access "FAILED",Service Center just didn't successfully install), I was able to locate Guitar Rig and Kontakt on my Mac boot drive from within Service Center, thus pointing the installers I downloaded via Service Center to the proper spot on my boot drive and allowing successful installations.

However, I cannot find a way to point the NI audio plug in installers (i.e Driver, Reverbs, Compressors, etc) to the proper Component location on my boot drive. Any hints for me in this regard? Appreciated!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

^^^ To both of you. Log in to your NI account, on the account page go to My Products Serials and Downloads. You then can download the installer. In my case Komplete 10, it's an installer so it only downloads off the internet what you select, in my case Guitar Rig, since I trashed the Users/Shared libraries for Komplete on my laptop to make space.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.