9 GB Sonivox orchestral library for $1

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

9 GB Sonivox orchestral library for $1

Post by David Polich »

Plugin Boutique is offering the 9 GB Sonivox Orchestral
Companion strings library for $1 until Dec. 31.

That's correct ... $1. The library normally sells
for $105. It requires Kontakt to run it.

More info here:

www.pluginboutique.com
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mhschmieder

Re: 9 GB Sonivox orchestral library for $1

Post by mhschmieder »

Dave,

Actually, I think that's the newer version on sale -- they recently ported from Kontakt to probably Aria Engine or whatever it's called. So I don't think you need a Kontakt license to run this one.

http://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1 ... on-Strings

I was at the original release party for the first version (Gigastudio) as Jennifer Hruska is a former housemate of one of my best friends and former co-workers from when I lived in Boston. I got to meet all of the people involved, including the engineer John Bono.

Although other stuff has come along since then, that has more articulations and clever switching, there is a special ambience and timbre to SONiVOX that remains unique, and many people like to layer it with more modern libraries.

Also, I think, but do not know for sure, that these newer versions have more programming and flexibility than previous sampler host versions did (Gigastudio, Kontakt), so I'm tempted to go for it myself at $1 even though I own the Kontakt version of everything but Harp (it got taken off the market before I had a chance).

Fun fact: Jennifer is a trained mallet percussionist, and after she stepped back a bit from the business side of things, she went back for a PhD in Music Composition. She's a very talented person with a keen vision, and every library that came after owes a lot to the concepts she came up with for how to properly record orchestral instruments and sections.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Also, in case you missed it, there's a $69 upgrade offer for SONiVOX Premier Collection:

http://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1 ... on-Upgrade

This includes everything still in their catalogue, from what I can tell.

And that includes TimewARP 2600, which came under their umbrella a number of years ago. Worth the price of admission alone, for anyone who doesn't already own it.

So for a total of $70, you get it all -- though I need to read the fine print to make sure the upgrade doesn't require specific and/or multiple existing products to be eligible.

UPDATE: You only need to own one SONiVOX product to qualify for the Premier Collection Upgrade.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The only product I see missing from the suite is the new Vocalizer Pro vocoder and vocal effect/harmonizer product, which makes sense to exclude from the offer.

There is a separate $169 upgrade offer for AIR customers, but as one can qualify for the $69 upgrade by buying the Strings for $1, that would be silly.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I won't likely be taking part in this offer myself, just because I have more than blown my budget for the season, and already own half the products anyway (in one form or another).

This is a great deal for almost anyone. And even the EDM stuff is useful at times; I bought Wobble recently for maybe $10, and it found a place adding some important texture on a song that is in that genre but which avoids letting any loop-based sound dominate or be too exposed. Just my own preference though; many people are happy to write material solely based on stuff like Wobble.

billf

Post by billf »

If you happen to have other products from PlugInBoutique, be sure to check your virtual cash bonus points to see if you have a balance. I had some, so I was able to grab this for some bonus points.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Ok, so the "Orchestral Companion-Strings" plugin is def not for Kontakt and has its own engine? I can't seem to find any more info on it as the page pretty much just describes the "Premier" collection.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Ok. Nevermind. I see that the Orchestra Comp Strings description follows the Premier upgrade offer.

|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

For some reason, most SONiVOX products no longer mention engine requirements.

Given that there also seems to be some sort of partnership with AIR, anything is possible.

At one time, they were using the ARIA engine that Garritan had taken on. But as those products don't run on 64-bit Macs (at least, mine don't), I wonder if they moved on to yet another engine?

I bought Wobble a month or so ago but couldn't tell what it was running on. maybe each one is its own thing.

Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Interesting. Well I bit for a buck. We'll see how it goes. Thanx M!

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I went ahead and did the $69 upgrade, minus a dollar or so for existing account credits. There are some rare instruments in there that are a bit coarse (older libraries) but may come in handy.

It’s not clear on who starts the handshake and when/how, for the upgrade license to authorize and present my account with a proper serial number for registering with iLok so that I get an installer link for the suite.

The account info says all licenses have been exhausted and to wait a day, but I suspect that's a red herring and that we have to take the initiative to let "someone" (Plugin Boutique? SONiVOX?) know that we qualify (and for me, I qualify several times over) for the upgrade path.

Anyway, I thought it safer to respond to the purchase confirmation email to provide my iLok account info and my Wobble license number, to hopefully diminish the number of back-and-forths.

For those just buying the $1 symphony strings collection, I doubt there will be any confusion or complicating factors.

Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Good to know. Hey, OT, you're a very knowledgeable VI guy. I have a very limited Piano lib. Actually, besides the Bosendorfer that came with mach5, a piano with Albion and all of my hardware synths, nothing much to get excited about. I'd like a somewhat of a multipurpose piano. Something between an Orchestral sound and a Pop sound. I know.....A wide gap between. So, I was looking at the Ivory American Concert D. Do you have and like it? Jeff

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I only have Italian II and hate it. I've written elsewhere in this forum that I spent dozens of hours -- and though I'm not at Dave Polich's level, I'm no slouch when it comes to synth programming and tweaks -- and couldn't get anything organic out of it, phrasing-wise.

But then, even the best audio demos of Ivory's products sound inorganic to me as well, and those presumably had a lot of time put into them. But we all listen for different things, you see. For me, the way that notes connect matters more than ANYTHING and is a deal-killer if they don't. Timbre is not enough on its own to "fool" me into thinking something is "real".

Having said that, the American Steinway Model D from Ivory is supposed to be by far their best and most advanced product. So it may have more expressivity and control, just as Galaxy's Vintage D goes a bit beyond their trilogy of piano libraries (which are also pretty good).

But getting back on-topic, the SONiVOX collection includes a Steinway Grand. Yet if you click on the Sound-on-Sound review, it's pretty critical. Even so, it may be good value; especially as part of a $69 suite. Unfortunately I can't find audio demos for it yet.

Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Very cool! Great input and advice! For me, I really look for feel and response to my particular style of play... Warts and all. Ok, I will check out the Sonivox lib as well. Thanx again Michael! Cheers~Jeff

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Thanks for the tip, David. This is worth far more than the price of the bandwidth. I wish there was a way to install it on a drive other than the system, nevertheless, I gave a few patches the Khachaturian "Gayane's Adagio" stress test (which I have come to use as the definitive string patch test), and it passed with flying colors. I'm looking forward to giving the rest a workout over the next couple of days.

Yes, it has it's own proprietary player, and as far as I can tell, one can attach a controller to all the knobs. There is the documentation in the library folder.

The library would not authorize on the first go round, but after a reboot all was well.

EDIT: I see there is an option to move the library to another location using the "gear" icon on the interface, but this option was not available in the installer.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31