DP Session won't run from specific disk

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ghobish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP Session won't run from specific disk

Post by ghobish »

This feels like a "Sharing & Permissions" issue.

I recently had a problem with a 2 year old SSD that I was using as my workspace. I made sure everything was backed up, so there is no data loss issue here. It's been replace under warranty, but ever since, I cannot load a DP session that lives on that disk. DP starts, but the session won't load. No problem loading a session from another drive. Add to this that OSX (10.9.5) asks for authorization before copying to this disk, and it feels like a Sharing & Permissions issue (in the Get Info window).

Can someone tell me how the proper permissions should be set for a standard work disk?

What I see on a working disk:

ghobish (me) rw
staff rw
everyone r

What I see on the new drive:
system rw
wheel rw
everyone r

I tried added myself to the list with rw but that didn't help. I tried to add staff but couldn't find that option anywhere. Also tried increasing "everyone's" privileges to rw.

Do I need to take care of this with line commands in Terminal? I can also try erasing the disk and re-copying the data (it's all backed up) but thought I'd try this approach first.

OSX Mavericks 10.9.5 on a MacPro 5,1 w 24GB RAM

Thanks.

(oh, and if Mortilla's reading this- I did repair permissions, but this is not a system drive... :wink: )
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
mikehalloran

Re: DP Session won't run from specific disk

Post by mikehalloran »

Add yourself as admin.

Check the box to Apply to all folders and files...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

mikehalloran wrote:Add yourself as admin.

Thanks Mike, but if you reread my post you'll see I tried that.
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

ghobish wrote:

Really? You only listed the first part, not that you had checked the box to Apply...

Change all to Read & Write. Check Apply to files and folders. You need to do this individually on each line.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

mikehalloran wrote:
ghobish wrote:

Really? You only listed the first part, not that you had checked the box to Apply...

Change all to Read & Write. Check Apply to files and folders. You need to do this individually on each line.

Went back and did all that, no good. Ended up erasing the drive and the proper permissions came back. Re-copied the files, all is OK. Thanks.
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca