Configuring Multi-Record -- and Themes Question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
remmet
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Configuring Multi-Record -- and Themes Question

Post by remmet »

It appears that my usual record-enable configuration has changed, and I'm having trouble getting it back. My usual setup allowed 1 MIDI track and 1 Audio track to be record-enabled at the same time. But all of a sudden, I can only record-enable one or the other, not both.

If I engage "Multi Record," all my MIDI input names change (from "any" to "MIDI Keys-any") and instead of allowing only 1 MIDI track and 1 Audio track to be record-enabled simultaneously, any number of tracks can record-enabled at the same time - which is not what I want. Does anyone know the proper combination of settings to get it back to where it was?

Changing the subject, I find the stock Themes in DP 9 very tough on my eyes. I know that some people have created original Themes, either for their own use or to sell or share. Can anyone suggest some good 3-party Theme creators?

Thanks!

Richard
Mac mini 2018 3.2GHz i7; OS X 10.144.6; 64 GB RAM; DP 10.1; Apollo X6; Kontakt 6; Omnisphere II; Adagio Everything, Spitfire almost Everything, Berlin Winds and Brass, Xosphere 2, and endless other sample libraries, acoustic and electric guitars, and assorted other essentials that have helped make me the "almost break even guy" my accountant so admires.
Guitar Gaz

Re: Configuring Multi-Record -- and Themes Question

Post by Guitar Gaz »

remmet wrote:It appears that my usual record-enable configuration has changed, and I'm having trouble getting it back. My usual setup allowed 1 MIDI track and 1 Audio track to be record-enabled at the same time. But all of a sudden, I can only record-enable one or the other, not both.

If I engage "Multi Record," all my MIDI input names change (from "any" to "MIDI Keys-any") and instead of allowing only 1 MIDI track and 1 Audio track to be record-enabled simultaneously, any number of tracks can record-enabled at the same time - which is not what I want. Does anyone know the proper combination of settings to get it back to where it was?

Changing the subject, I find the stock Themes in DP 9 very tough on my eyes. I know that some people have created original Themes, either for their own use or to sell or share. Can anyone suggest some good 3-party Theme creators?

Thanks!

Richard
Themes - I make my own, Corbo Billy does his own, Amplidood sells some although not for DP9 yet (only up to DP8).
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Under multirecord, you CAN record any number of tracks. Just turn the record button on for the tracks you want to record on. On the source, MIDI Keys, it looks like that's the MIDI source DP found. If other MIDI sources are present, they should be available in the drop down menu when you click on the input source.

On themes, there are a load of the available in Preferences. I'm not aware of any up to date 3rd party themes. But you can make your own.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
waxman

Post by waxman »

Check out this... you can mix and match themes... Shooshie lays out the steps and Gaz has instructions on using preview or editing program to change colors and parameters...

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62475
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
remmet

Post by remmet »

bayswater wrote:Under multirecord, you CAN record any number of tracks. Just turn the record button on for the tracks you want to record on. On the source, MIDI Keys, it looks like that's the MIDI source DP found. If other MIDI sources are present, they should be available in the drop down menu when you click on the input source.

On themes, there are a load of the available in Preferences. I'm not aware of any up to date 3rd party themes. But you can make your own.
The issue for me about multi record is that I don't want to - and up till recently didn't need to - continually un-enable a prior record-enabled track when record-enabling the next track I want to record on. Too much clicking, and it risks accidentally recording over a track that was still enabled but I didn't notice it. (I know, it's non-destructive recording, but still would require extra work to fix it.)

There's got to be a setting for getting it back to where I had it.

R
Mac mini 2018 3.2GHz i7; OS X 10.144.6; 64 GB RAM; DP 10.1; Apollo X6; Kontakt 6; Omnisphere II; Adagio Everything, Spitfire almost Everything, Berlin Winds and Brass, Xosphere 2, and endless other sample libraries, acoustic and electric guitars, and assorted other essentials that have helped make me the "almost break even guy" my accountant so admires.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

remmet wrote:
bayswater wrote:Under multirecord, you CAN record any number of tracks. Just turn the record button on for the tracks you want to record on. On the source, MIDI Keys, it looks like that's the MIDI source DP found. If other MIDI sources are present, they should be available in the drop down menu when you click on the input source.

The issue for me about multi record is that I don't want to - and up till recently didn't need to - continually un-enable a prior record-enabled track when record-enabling the next track I want to record on. Too much clicking, and it risks accidentally recording over a track that was still enabled but I didn't notice it. (I know, it's non-destructive recording, but still would require extra work to fix it.)

There's got to be a setting for getting it back to where I had it.

R
Are you using the shortcuts to change the armed track? Up and down arrow.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
remmet

Post by remmet »

R[/quote]
Are you using the shortcuts to change the armed track? Up and down arrow.[/quote]

Yes, but I noticed that in multi record mode, if you have both a MIDI track and Audio track armed, the arrow keys don't work. At least on my system.

R
SMS

Post by SMS »

DP 9.12 works the way you suggest for me when not in Multi-Record mode.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
remmet

Post by remmet »

SMS wrote:DP 9.12 works the way you suggest for me when not in Multi-Record mode.
Yeah, that's what's so weird. It had always worked that way for me too, until suddenly it didn't.

Richard
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Have you taken a look at preferences... audio always multi record, as opposed to MIDI multi record?
remmet

Post by remmet »

HCMarkus wrote:Have you taken a look at preferences... audio always multi record, as opposed to MIDI multi record?

YES! That was it! Thank you, HC.