Magic Mouse with OS Sierra Issue wrecks DP Pitch Editing

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Magic Mouse with OS Sierra Issue wrecks DP Pitch Editing

Post by waxman »

This has been driving me nuts... Today with the help of MagicD he found an issue with Sierra and the Magic Mouse. It's not a Sierra deal killer but it is a pia. The Magic Mouse does not work correctly with Sierra. Google it there is an explanation. This did not show up for me until editing pitch and only after the last Sierra update. So because the Magic Mouse is slow to react when you select a pitch it will get a yellow line and then you can't drag it. The left click is being interpreted as letting go so it becomes selected. About 30% of the time this happens. This is ONLY with the Apple Magic Mouse. It may work not happen with Magic Mouse 2 and it is not an issue with plug usb mouse or my track ball. I am off to the Apple store to get a Magic Mouse 2...
Last edited by waxman on Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
cuttime

Re: Inconsistent Pitch editing with DP 9.12 Magic Mouse Sier

Post by cuttime »

waxman wrote: The Magic Mouse does not work correctly with Sierra. Google it there is an explanation.
Anybody know if this is fixed in 10.12.2?
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
waxman

Post by waxman »

cuttime wrote:
waxman wrote: The Magic Mouse does not work correctly with Sierra. Google it there is an explanation.
Anybody know if this is fixed in 10.12.2?
I am using 10.12.1 It seems to also be a problem with the track pad and Magic Mouse 2 I'll go get 10.12.2 hope this does not start the merry go around breaking something else...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Updating to OS Sierra 10.12.2 now
waxman
waxman

Post by waxman »

Did NOT fix magic mouse issue.

The work around for pitch editing is to start the mouse moving so it has inertia as you click on the note. Then it moves and the pitch can be changed... still a bummer. Don't know if Magic Mouse 2 will work.
waxman
waxman

Post by waxman »

Anybody get this problem solved... no magic mouse love with Sierra here
waxman
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

This has been driving me bonkers as well.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I keep an old Logitech trackball wired to my iMac.

I've never been able to do precise editing with my Magic Mouse—don't see it any worse in Sierra.

If Santa surprises me with an MM2, I'll be interested in seeing if there's a difference.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

No difference MM1 to MM2. Tested. Also tried with Bluetooth 3 and 4 adaptors. No difference noted.

Thanks for the inertia tip Waxman.
waxman

Post by waxman »

You are welcome eye guy...

Well Mike I have a track ball also... It's wild as hell though... I'll have to see if I can slow it down and get it to act correctly. I would think Apple must be gonna fix this soon. What a goof up. How do you mess up on programming for the mm... Magic Dave uses a plug in mouse so he was not aware of it. But I have been using the MM mouse for a couple years or more and love it until it turned schizo under Sierra.
waxman
waxman

Re: Magic Mouse with OS Sierra Issue wrecks DP Pitch Editing

Post by waxman »

Who would have thought??? I waited months until everything was compatible with plugs, hardware, software and dp BEFORE I switched to OS Sierra. It's the flippin' Magic Mouse doing the watussi when I'm trying to edit pitch that ends up being what gets me. ahhhhhh!!!!!
:banghead: while screaming at the top of my voice obscenities.
waxman
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

From Adobe Forum, provides some insight:
Apple's touch-based devices are very sensitive, and support gestures that can input multiple scroll commands at once (i.e., "scroll 10 units" instead of "scroll 1 unit, then scroll 1 again, then scroll 1 again..."). Swiping to scroll, for example, will input scroll commands based on the speed and length of the swipe, and it slows as it comes to a stop. This appears to give momentum to your gesture in long lists, such as a Finder window with hundreds of files. Swiping to scroll left or right in the Timeline panel in After Effects also responds like this.

On macOS 10.11 and earlier, if you move your finger slowly on an Apple touch devices while zooming in the Composition panel, you get the predictable 1:1 scroll behavior; moving your finger a certain distance equates to one stop of zoom. Swipe gestures, however, are simply interpreted as "a lot of scroll commands". Since the Apple touch devices are sensitive, it's easy to move your finger too quickly and end up with the Composition view zoomed all the way in or all the way out.

On macOS 10.12, Apple appears to have modified the commands sent by scroll gestures. It's difficult for me to characterize, you have to feel it for yourself, but the difference appears to be in how the speed of finger movements is interpreted. During slow scroll gestures, I observed that zooming in the Composition panel was inconsistent; sometimes it would scroll one stop, sometimes it would scroll multiple stops. It is difficult to control my finger accurately enough to keep the scroll rate consistent, like it is on macOS 10.11.
Hopefully Apple and/or MOTU will address this, and soon! It is a buzzkill.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Yeah... I can deal with the mouse scroll even though it's like ice skating... the issue for me is the click being to slow. That caused me to pull out my track ball. I agree I think Apple with have this fixed soon. I can't imagine what the CAD guys are trying to deal with.

Thanks for the info HCM. There are many complaints on the net. Alas Apple engineers need Christmas too...
waxman