DAW Control for DP8 with Roland FA-08

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
pamam
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DAW Control for DP8 with Roland FA-08

Post by pamam »

I'm stuck trying to figure out how to use DAW control on the Roland FA-08 to control DP8.
I've got FA set up as my audio interface and it is connected to the computer by USB. I can record MIDI from the FA keyboard and I can play back FA songs and record them one track at a time.

I haven't figured out how to set up DP and the FA to use the FA transport controls for DP. The FA has canned setups for DAW Control for Logic, Sonar and Cubase, and a User option for others (the manual says for others that don't support Mackie Control, which is looks like DP does). For MIDI inputs and outputs the FA audio interface offers two versions: FA-06-08 and FA-06-08 DAW CTRL.

Is the Control Surface Setup dialog on the Setup menu involved?

I'm on Mac OSX 10.10.5. Thanks for any help on this.
fisher

Re: DAW Control for DP8 with Roland FA-08

Post by fisher »

I am also curious about how to do this, as I have not been able to find anything out there explaining how.

Thanks.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I can't help with the main question. Though if you need a work-around, you can transmit MIDI events to trigger COMMANDS so you could make it work that way. But yea, I expect there's a setting that will make it work with the default Mackie mode.

As for recording your tracks one at a time, do you know about MULTI-RECORD in DP? With that you can set up input source device & channels and record all your tracks in one pass.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
ggm1960

Post by ggm1960 »

Did this ever work for you? I'm at a point where I'd like to do this also albeit for controlling my live rig.

The only difference is DP9.5 now, I messed around with it the other day but wasn't having any luck, was hoping to be able to setup the transport controls within the Commands window.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

ggm1960 wrote:Did this ever work for you? I'm at a point where I'd like to do this also albeit for controlling my live rig.

The only difference is DP9.5 now, I messed around with it the other day but wasn't having any luck, was hoping to be able to setup the transport controls within the Commands window.
I would recommend downloading MIDI Monitor. It's a great little utility. Then you can easily see what your MIDI keyboard is sending and plug that into the appropriate Commands. Not elegant but it should work but I don't know to what degree. Make sure the MIDI master is turned on in the Commands window.

https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
ggm1960

Post by ggm1960 »

philbrown wrote:
I would recommend downloading MIDI Monitor.
https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/
Why yes I've used MIDI Monitor many times over the years, great program and an excellent suggestion.
I really didn't spend much time on this FA-08 DAW control thing because, as always, I was in a time crunch. I had a little down time and wanted to eliminate a rack mount synth I've been using and do more with software which required switching to a newer, more robust, MBP with Thunderbolt ports. It's been a huge project and there's more I want to do but I'm real happy with the results and am prepared for this weekend's gigs.

As for controlling DP I stuck with my tried and true method of using a little Akai LPK25 with it's note keys linked to commands like play, rewind, stop, next chunk, previous chunk and panic.
It would be nice though if I could also eliminate that piece of hardware and just use the FA-08 or Krome61 that I'm already playing so that's why I was curious about this topic and I'll dig in deeper on it as time allows.