My New Varispeed DAW

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
vsoprod
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: My New Varispeed DAW

Post by vsoprod »

I tried this back in the days when I had an Adat XT. Definitely could get the speed changed in DP. Problem for me was DP wouldn't go into record if the speed wasn't normal speed. That's where I gave up. Maybe you could record into the Adat and then transfer that over. Maybe DP can now work with odd clocks. Interested to hear more.
MacPro 12core 2.66GHZ, 32GB ram, UA Apollo Quad, DP9.12, OS 10.11.xx Waves, Nomad Factory, Drumagog, Autotune plugins.
Video card nVIDIA GTX 980 2GB memory
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

vsoprod wrote:Maybe DP can now work with odd clocks. Interested to hear more.
TLDR: DP can and does record under varispeed, but there are limits as to how far the clock can deviate before sync is lost.

I just experimented for a few minutes and confirmed on my system (Sierra/DP9.12/828mkII/44.1k identified sample rate) DP is still fully functional with clock speed reduced by 4.51% or 80 cents. My system lost solid sync at -81 cents. I could speed up the ADAT clock to its full 12.24% / 2 semitone max and DP still plays back and records. Interestingly, while DP continued to indicate the chosen 44.1k sample rate, the 828 indicated 48k sample rate once I sped the clock up past about 70 cents.

My findings suggest we may have a larger clock speed reduction and smaller clock speed increase available when recording at 48k.

I also confirmed I can leave the ADAT set to the desired clock speed and toggle between internal and ADAT optical clocking to shift DP in and out of varispeed mode.

When I saw vsoprod's post, I had a moment of panic. Happy to report that, at least on my system, as long as DP will accept the clock, it will playback AND record. Cheers!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

PS to vsoprod: Noting you have a 12 core 2.66 MP, take a look at Ebay prices for used X5680s. You might want to consider swapping your CPUs and boosting your CPU speed to 3.33 for about $200. If money is not an issue, look at X5690s for slightly more oomph.
vsoprod
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by vsoprod »

Great news and thanks for the tip on CPUs. BTW what audio interface are you using? Wondering if that had influence on why I couldn't get this to work. I was using a 2408 back then. Hmm, have to dig up the old ADAT and give it another try. I actually have a project that we've going to a studio with an analog machine and VSO . Also our favorite trick used to be slowing or speeding up the tape a small percentage and doubling guitar, vocals or synths, get a nice chorusy double.
Glad to see someone still plugging various pieces of gear together to see what happens.
MacPro 12core 2.66GHZ, 32GB ram, UA Apollo Quad, DP9.12, OS 10.11.xx Waves, Nomad Factory, Drumagog, Autotune plugins.
Video card nVIDIA GTX 980 2GB memory
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

vsoprod wrote:BTW what audio interface are you using? Wondering if that had influence on why I couldn't get this to work. I was using a 2408 back then.
828mkII is my interface. It could well be that different interfaces will slave to broader range of clock speed.
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Still have 3 XTs mint as well as a BRC. I'll have to try this! Fun! Yah, I would think that the BRC can do this alone maybe?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Martini Hill wrote:Still have 3 XTs mint as well as a BRC. I'll have to try this! Fun! Yah, I would think that the BRC can do this alone maybe?

I think so using the 8-pin, but not sure. As I recall the BRC doesn't have any optical ports. Let us know!
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

No it doesn't. But it still has all of the other controls that the Adat has plus much more. Will do!

|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

This thread has me thinking seriously of getting
some ADATs again. At one point I had three
XT20's. I have a lot of cool (I think) music on
ADAT tapes but sold my machines 14 years ago,
never thinking I'd ever use them again.

Yes the ADAT system had a lot of problems
(anyone remember the display showing "e-r-r-o-r
7" like every other week?). But they had a
sound of their own. And I think it is safe to say,
the ADAT was responsible for the home studio
revolution and ultimately, the demise of the
big recording studios.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

David Polich wrote: I think it is safe to say,
the ADAT was responsible for the home studio
revolution and ultimately, the demise of the
big recording studios.
Got that right David!

I'm happy to put one of the old warhorses to productive use.
jantoman

Post by jantoman »

Absolutely brilliant !!! Thanks a lot Markus, that's a great tip.

Time to dust off the old Fostex RD8 and check it out. I'm not sure if it's possible to change the sampling rate as with the ADAT XT... I'll try.
Performer user since 1987 - DP user since 1996
Mac Pro 6,1 (6-Core Xeon E5 3,5 Ghz) 64 Gb RAM - MacBook Air i7 2,2 Ghz 8 Gb RAM - DP 11.22 - Apogee Duet - Korg Kronos - Kawai MP7 - Roland A800Pro - some old and trusty rackmount synths
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

jantoman wrote:Absolutely brilliant !!! Thanks a lot Markus, that's a great tip.

Time to dust off the old Fostex RD8 and check it out. I'm not sure if it's possible to change the sampling rate as with the ADAT XT... I'll try.
Repurpose the old gear and have fun!

If I recall correctly, although sample rate may be fixed 48k in first-gen ADAT machines, you can still varispeed down to 44.1 and somewhat below that.
SMS

Post by SMS »

With DPs new pitch/speed shifting quality why do you need this?
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

SMS wrote:With DPs new pitch/speed shifting quality why do you need this?
Speaking from an In The Box perspective and being inclined to use the pen tool in the conductor track, I initially had the same question.

Reading through the thread it's clear that a fun-factor is a priority - the enjoyable tactile-kinesthetic experience that comes from manipulating hardware as in the not-too distant past.

The other benefit the harmonic richness afforded by the hardware that isn't present a DAW manipulation.

Old stuff never really goes away, it just returns years later as a cool new option.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello,
I have been using the "change header only" option when converting sample rates. Works great, you can scale any speed you like. For example, I got some old 78 rpm lacquer records from my mother that she made back in 1943. My turntable only had 33-1/3 and 45 rpm speeds. So I played them at 45 rpm and sampled them at 96/24. I then sample rate converted to 55384. Then I sample converted again changing only the header back to 96k. The files were now back in pitch and sounded as good as a lacquer record could that had been played to death by my Grandma when my mom was away during WWII.

There was something haunting about hearing her young voice singing "As Time Goes BY."
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness