My New Varispeed DAW

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

My New Varispeed DAW

Post by HCMarkus »

Been Jonesing for varispeed for quite some time. You know, slow down or speed up the tape before recording to realize interesting and useful timbral shifts, sonic tightness or heaviness when playback speed is returned to normal. DP doesn't offer an equivalent function. Yeah, there are workarounds, but digital manipulation doesn't give the true harmonic shift the original technique allows.

I've spent a fair amount of time searching for a variable speed digital clock but nothing sort of vari (ha!) expensive options like Apogee's Big Ben could be found. ($1,200 new, $600 used.) Until I remembered ADAT. Yeah, you know, the old video tape-eating 8 track machines from Alesis that revolutionized audio recording in the late 80s.

So I checked Craigslist and found an ADAT XT for $50 at a local music store. Paid the man, brought it home, connected its optical Out via light pipe to my 828mkII's optical In, set the ADAT's sample rate to 44.1k (an advantage the XTs have over the original 48k-only earlier blackface machines), and slaved DP to the ADAT litepipe.

It works! I can slow down or speed up a track with ease and, since the DAW doesn't realize the clock is shifting, the pitch of VIs follows right along with the audio tracks.

OK, purists may suggest that the possibly less than stellar ADAT optical clock may give rise to some distortion, but it it probably cleaner than any pure digital process available. And I'll only use my new clock (I don't know - or care - if it will actually record on tape) when I feel the need for varispeed.

This is gonna' be fun!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: My New Varispeed DAW

Post by James Steele »

Shhhh... you'll start a run on old ADAT machines. I never had an ADAT, but went straight to a crippled ProTools Project around the same time. So how does the ADAT change speed? Something on the front panel?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote:Shhhh... you'll start a run on old ADAT machines. I never had an ADAT, but went straight to a crippled ProTools Project around the same time. So how does the ADAT change speed? Something on the front panel?
UP and DOWN arrows on the left side of the front panel. The XTs also have a sample rate selector over to the right side of the panel.

Blackface can be manually changed to 44.1k by slowing the ADAT clock using the arrows, but the range of further slowing is thus more limited.

PS: I know someone in SD who has more XTs...
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Cool!
I wonder if the speed can be controlled via MIDI cause if it could, you should be able to record control changes just in case you needed to recall a mix.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

kwiz wrote:Cool!
I wonder if the speed can be controlled via MIDI cause if it could, you should be able to record control changes just in case you needed to recall a mix.
I am unaware of any MIDI control on the ADAT XT I purchased... not in the studio at the moment, but I don't recall a MIDI jack being present on the machine. I plan only to use varispeed while tracking, not mixing, so I'm not really concerned either way.
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

Interesting. . .

I have an ADAT XT that's been safely tucked away in my closet (along with a whole bunch of other audio-related stuff) for over 11+ years! (Haven't used it in about 15+ years.) Just might take it out and experiment with it.

It's shocking to read that these ADATs are going for ONLY around $50. I purchased it new for much, much more, back in the day. :shock:
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Don't these use S-VHS only? And where in the world can someone find them?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

A good use for an ADAT with a bad transport that can't be repaired. You don't need any tape.

A BRC will do this for you too.

Can you 2x the sample rate somehow to make it happen at higher rates?
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
waxman

Post by waxman »

brilliant Marcus... love it
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Let me get this straight-You are running audio from from an external source into the XT and then to DP? Or are you going from DP to the XT and back again? (In essence, using the XT as an external effects processor.) Forgive my density, but I'm having a hard time grasping the signal flow...
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

I'm guessing there is no signal flow, he's just using the ADAT for the clock and DP is following the ADAT.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

rickorick wrote:I'm guessing there is no signal flow, he's just using the ADAT for the clock and DP is following the ADAT.
Winner!
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Haha, great!

Me and my (former) studio partner both got started using ADATs... We used to joke that they, like most old stuff would be trendy again, and people would be wanting that late 80s/early 90s ADAT sound again. I think I see the beginning of that here! :D
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

You guys better shut your mouths or you're going to be paying $100 for VHS tapes, just sayin'
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Killahurts wrote:You guys better shut your mouths or you're going to be paying $100 for VHS tapes, just sayin'
Turn on ADAT > Optical clock is spit out. No tape required.