Automation control points - restrict to grid and quantize

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Krakadon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Automation control points - restrict to grid and quantize

Post by Krakadon »

Hi. I'm trying to edit volume automation data. I have snap to grid enabled but the automation control points aren't snapping to the grid so unless I meticulous (and slowly) use the pencil tool the changes come in slightly early or late. I also tried quantizing volume automation with no success. Does anyone know how I can do this? I'm trying to get my workflow as fast as possible for volume automation. Thanks.

Clarification - I clicking and dragging with the pencil or reshape tool, not single clicking to add points and dragging those, again trying to do this super fast.
Krakadon
Rock, metal, Nashville, TN

* 15" MBP 2.2 GHz Intel i7 (Quad), 16GB RAM, 850 EVO 500GB SSD, 500GB 7200 RPM SATA, AMD Radeon 1GB, OS X 10.11.6
* Apollo Quad FW (FW9.0), UAD-2 Quad FW, UAD-2 Quad TB, M Audio Oxygen 49
* DP 9.12, PT 12, Amadeus Pro, DMG, FabFilter, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Toontrack, TB, UA, Valhalla, Waves
* Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II FW Q4, EBMM JP BFR7, EBMM StingRay 5, Ovation Legend 1866, Martin D1-R
* UA 4-710d, RNC-1773, Shure SM-57, SM-58, SM7B, Rode NT1-A
dwilliams

Re: Automation control points - restrict to grid and quantiz

Post by dwilliams »

Anyone?
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

To quantize Volume Automation:
  • Select points to be quantized
  • Open Quantize dialog
  • What to quantize: Custom
  • Click "Clear"
  • Select "Audio Volume"
  • Set Quantization Value and any other settings
  • Apply
Note that "Preview" does not seem to work with this.

Once the points are "on the grid", they will move to grid points as you decide with your snap settings.

DP does not have an 'absolute grid' where you can snap items to the grid. DP's snap only moves items by the snap value (or to beats/markers). DP does have true 'snap to grid' like other DAWs. Once the item quantized to the grid though, then it will practically work that way.
dwilliams

Post by dwilliams »

Great thanks! I was trying to use the "Automation and Controllers" section by adding "Volume". I guess that only applies to MIDI?
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

dwilliams wrote:Great thanks! I was trying to use the "Automation and Controllers" section by adding "Volume". I guess that only applies to MIDI?
Yes. It is a bit confusing the first time for sure.