RX460 GPU Works Great under Sierra!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

RX460 GPU Works Great under Sierra!

Post by HCMarkus »

$89 after $30 rebate from Gigabyte.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814125897

This is the non-mobile version of the GPU Apple is using in its new Mac Pro laptops; although it does not give a full boot screen, it is otherwise fully supported under Sierra. It provides 1 each HDMI, DVI, and DV (full-size, not mini DV) outputs which are, reportedly, all useable simultaneously. (I have yet to confirm, cables on the way.)

No drivers to install or kexts to modify. I tested with a single monitor (DP and DVI) on two 4,1 > 5,1 Mac Pros and it is functioning perfectly for me.

This card provides a great upgrade for Mac Pros running Sierra; a super update from GT120s and ATI 5770s. Apple's new GPU standard, "Metal", is supported and 4 GB of VRAM is nice. Reports also indicate it supports 4k at 60Hz under macOS.

The New Egg sale and Gigabyte rebate ends in 10 hours (12/7/2016).
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
HCMarkus

Re: RX460 GPU Works Great under Sierra!

Post by HCMarkus »

Update: One cable (HDMI>DVI) arrived; two monitors working perfectly.

Third cable coming tomorrow (DP>DP) to get the full monty running.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I think I have a 5770 in my 4,1 upgraded to a 5,1. This would work for me? I wonder because I have two older Apple DVI cinema displays: a 24" and then a 30" which is dual link. Don't know if that would work with adapters, etc. I'm hesitant to do the Sierra thing. I can save disc image with CCC, but may still have some hard drive authorizations to restore. Oh well...
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote:I think I have a 5770 in my 4,1 upgraded to a 5,1. This would work for me? I wonder because I have two older Apple DVI cinema displays: a 24" and then a 30" which is dual link. Don't know if that would work with adapters, etc. I'm hesitant to do the Sierra thing. I can save disc image with CCC, but may still have some hard drive authorizations to restore. Oh well...
Lots of variables make this stuff a challenge, but I'm pretty sure you could connect the 30" monitor to the card's DVI output and the 24" to either the HDMI or DP output using an inexpensive adaptor cable.

I will be running two Dell 24" monitors and a Samsung 19" connected as follows:

Card > Monitor

DVI > DVI for Dell 1
DP > DP for Dell 2
HDMI > DVI for the Samsung

Regardless, unless you're doing video stuff or want to move to a 4k monitor, you should be fine with the 5770. In my case, I saw the RX460 on sale and decided to give it a whirl to bring my rig as up to date as possible, leaving the 4k monitor option available to me in the future.

I hope to soon be experimenting with DP9.12 and video using the new card; I'll report back whether there is or is not any perceived performance difference from the 5770.

If you are doing heavy video editing, there are stronger cards available, but it looks like they all require some software tinkering to work
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I can now confirm the RX460 supports 3 monitors. Setup is as per my last post.

Does the new card have any impact on how DP runs? Still testing.