Full Screen Crosshair at Mouse Cursor for DP Edits

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Full Screen Crosshair at Mouse Cursor for DP Edits

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm just starting a new thread based on a recent SMART question by Supersonic about a modified mouse cursor for edits. I just wanted to post the same topic with a differently worded subject to see if it would draw other interest in it.

It makes sense to have this on screen to see where edits are on time rulers and how they align with MIDI and audio elements. Once I worked with it (see below), I realized how easy it would make some things.

As I mentioned in that thread, I did try Euclid (in the App Store); and while it gives you full screen crosshairs, it is only for taking a "lasso pixel measurement" and can't be used in other apps-- accept for this narrow purpose. I emailed the developer, but haven't heard back.

I also tried the demo of Xscope ($49) which does exactly what is needed, but the cursor arrow is replaced with a somewhat hard to see + symbol. It does quite a few other things, but $49 is a bit much for using this one little aspect.

That's all I know on the topic.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
EMRR

Re: Full Screen Crosshair at Mouse Cursor for DP Edits

Post by EMRR »

Does seem useful.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I couldn't find anything more than you found for Macs, but there seem to be a lot of cross hair cursors for Windows.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Great idea!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I spent a little time working with the demo of Xscope, but found the lack of a cursor arrow to be a little problematic-- perhaps something I could acclimate to, not sure. I sure wish there was just something in the Mac OS to make that work-- even a little system extension thing.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

leigh

Post by leigh »

Just wondering.

Couldn't you hack it by replacing /Applications/xScope.app/Contents/Resources/crosshair.tiff with a .tiff of an arrow or whatever you'd like?

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

leigh wrote:Just wondering.

Couldn't you hack it by replacing /Applications/xScope.app/Contents/Resources/crosshair.tiff with a .tiff of an arrow or whatever you'd like?

**Leigh
We're talking about cross hairs that go the entire width and height of the screen. Look at the first post.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I was actually meaning that with Xscope, the ARROW CURSOR at the center of the crosshairs is not present, and a very tiny little plus-sign is there instead.

I think Leigh was suggesting that I might be able to go in and swap a different image for that little tiny one at the center (i.e., restore the mouse arrow).

I'll go take a look and see if that is possible. I'm not sure if I can find the mouse arrow graphic somewhere else.

EDIT: took one minute. Worked like a charm. Much better now. Hmmm. $50!? Boo. Still, glad it works.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Sorry, I thought the suggestion was to use a cross hair image in place of the pointer image. But I'd think if the full screen cross hairs are always present, their intersection would be the position of the point of the mouse arrow, and that would indicate what would be selected on a click. That's what I'd want anyway.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I was able to just use the tool editor (in the older version of preview) to change that center image into something easier to spot on the screen. I was able to set the arrow point in the center so it works/looks as we all agree it should.