SampleModeling Violin released today

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

SampleModeling Violin released today

Post by mhschmieder »

That's all I have time for right now, as I'm busy at work.

I hope to buy, download, install, and try it tonight, as I have a very specific part that doesn't need to have completely realistic timbre but needs organic phrasing without a lot of work. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Re: SampleModeling Violin released today

Post by mhschmieder »

http://www.samplemodeling.com/en/demos_violin.php

Holy cow! Except for the lower-register carol, and the two audio samples that follow (up to the Gypsy Swing piece, which works well), this thing sounds amazingly realistic!

Perhaps this technology is better suited for the highest registers, given that the viola and cello were a bit of a disappointment for many of us?

I'm all set to purchase, but have to wait until tonight as even stuff I do on my home computer goes through the company's policies (even with the Mac's preferences set to not echo local traffic) and it blocks e-sale sites as spam or dangerous. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Surprisingly, I was able to take care of the sale through the firewall, and it was much quicker than previous product sales from SampleModeling as well as not requiring the three-step process that used to be so confusing and aggravating.

This was a very simple, quick, and non-intimidating purchase. The only room for improvement would be for them to move the purchase links further up the webpage so that we don't keep wondering why nothing happens when we click on the bolded text for each product and its price further up. :-)

It will be very difficult for me to resist trying this product out before tonight. :-) I tend to be even more disciplined when working at home than at the office though. :idea:

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Let us know what you think of it, Mark!

I'm out of funds for new VI's for awhile, but I'm seriously interested to hear about this, as
this and the cello come from the same guy who created the Garritan Strad Violin, which I
still have. Curious to hear whether it is an improvement over that.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Well, it's the nicest of the three in my opinion. I think they improved the engine with each one, but maybe only the Cello got an engine rev.

I keep going back to VSL just because it has so many articulations, such a realistic and flexible timbre, and I know how to get the best out of it.

But of all of the other solo string products I have bought, Chris Hein and Sample Modeling show the most promise. I won't name the others, because it wouldn't be fair as I haven't spent enough time to confidently say that miss the mark.